Help! Anyone knows information about GE Fanuc PLC

saltykarp

Hi all -

I have a project where I will replace a GE Fanuc PLC, with Allen Bradley hardware.

This PLC looks very old and I do not know much about it. I want to see if there is a way to use the Ethernet line to upload the code that is already on that PLC. Is this possible? If so, what software is the programming language in, and how would I upload it?

It should be possible to upload the code. LogicMaster90 (DOS based) is most likely the old software it was programmed with. I don't know about using ethernet for this. Normally you would use a SNP adapter to connect to a real serial comm port on your computer. It would be a big help if you could list the exact model numbers for everything including the I/O modules, chassis, (backplane), etc. Is it currently networked to an HMI or another PLC?
There are others on the forum much more knowledgable about this PLC than I am. I'm sure someone else will jump in to help soon.

Edit: Thanks Steve, you're right, I was thinking about the Series 90. I don't know why I didn't think of the others, must be getting old. :)

Last edited:
GE Fanuc marketed quite a few models of PLC over the years. Some of them had ethernet connectivity, some didn't. Different models require different software. Unless you tell us which model PLC you're looking at, nobody is likely to offer much help.

jrwb4gbm is making an assumption that you have a Series 90 PLC, but for all I know you could be looking at a Series One, Series Six, Series Five, or Series Three.

Last edited:
The Series 90 came out in 1990. Until around 1999, the programming software was DOS-based Logicmaster 90. After that there was VersaPro followed by Proficy Machine Edition. Earlier releases of Proficy Machine Edition were also called Cimplicity Machine Edition.

All Series 90-30 have a serial port on their power supply.. It's RS485, so you'll need a RS48/RS232 converter to connect to a real serial port. It's also possible to use a USB/serial converter, but they can be finicky.

For ethernet connectivity you will need either a CPU module with an ethernet port or an ethernet communicatins module in one of the I/O slots.

You should have no problem using LM90 to upload the data off the old GE,and print it. I've done it and I am a far cry from a PLC "Pro" (y)