Modicon TSX Nano

msinclair

Does anyone have experience with these units. Looks like I might be inheriting a machine that has one, and judging from the Schneider/Modicon/Telemecanique site, these aren't much supported any more.

It looks like the only software to program them is the PL7-07 (DOS based) which you can't get from the website anymore. It also looks like the unit may not be supported/available much longer. (I'm hoping to have some feedback from my distributor this morning). Does anyone here know about the future of this product line?

On another web-site, I saw that this was actually an IDEC controller that was rebranded - is there any truth to that? Can the IDEC software be used to program this?

Thanks,

Marc

TSX-Nano

This PLC was a joint venture between Schneider and IDEC. The physical parts are made by IDEC but the internal stuff in Schneider, in particular the firmware. The result is that IDEC is not interchangeable with the Nano.

You are correct, there is no windows based software and there probably never will be. The software has never been "free".

I have not heard of the end of life for this product, so why replace it if you don't have to?

Thanks for the feedback Jim.

The machine that I have in mind is component of a machine that we build. This particular one is for an in-house demo. Historically, we have subcontracted out this component (in other words - we have never done the PLC on this machine). I am considering the implications on the product line going forward - I'd hate to have a new machine go to a customer with an obsolete PLC.

I guess what I'm after is twofold:

* Should I spend the $300 for the software to modify our demo, when for $150 (for something like a Moeller Easy or an AD) I could swap the PLC and have a "fully in-support" PLC.

* Should I make a formal recommendation to change the sub-contracted component to utilize a newer "in-support" PLC for all future systems.

If I answer the 2nd question "YES", then the first is a no-brainer. If I answer the 2nd question "NO", then I need to find out more about the changes that need to be made on the demo (like: will these changes be made on every system / who will make them / should I obtain the software before it is no longer available . . . )

By the way - the distributor response is that there are no immediate plans to officially "obsolete" the NANO, though there will likely be no more hardware and/or software upgrades again. After official obsolesence, the PLC would still have 8 years of repair support.

Thanks again,

Marc

The TSX-Nano program can be imported into Schneider's new Twido family. The hardware for the Twido is pretty good but the software is definitely "low end".

I don't consider the Easy a true PLC but rather a relay replacer. If you think these small devices can fit your needs, you would have no problem accepting the Schneider Twido software either.

To eliminate program re-entry and typos, I would spend the money on the Twido starter package (includes software) and import the Nano program file.

Thanks again Jim.

I assume that the TWIDO software can only import an off-line file, not go on-line with a Nano PLC. If I'm wrong, please let me know.

Thanks,

Marc

dear,

this nano series plcs of modico are really going to be obsolidated, though its the most reliable once it has some draw backs compared to modicon's other advanced plcs.

whatsoever u can still program with PL7 . this is available with any authorised system integrator of schneider electric. hope u can contact any of them soon.

Last edited:
I need help with the same PLC

Hi Marc,

I am currently dealing with the same family of PLC (TSX NANO TSX 07 31 1622) that you had question. I wonder if you ever got the PLC working? A friend of my own's a machine that uses the TSX NANO as a controller and when the PLC goes down he had to send it back to Italy to be reprogrammed by the Machine's Manufacturing Company. This causes him a lot of $$$$. Right now I am trying to get the right cable to interface the PLC with my own PC. At the same time I need to get a copy of the PL7-07 software or any equivalent software. Can you tell me your experience with this board and give me some pointer to acomplish my goal. I need to know the part number of the cable and where I can get it. Also if you know any site or people that are willing to share the PL7-07 software. Thank you so much for your help in advance.

Ty

I talked to my local Square D Rep (Graybar Electric) and ordered part number: TLXLPL707P40M which contained both the software and the cable.

Good luck,

Marc