URGENT: MicroLogix 1200 Serial Communication on Serial

jawad rasool

Good Day All,

I've a MicroLogix 1200 and Panel View 300 Micro installed on a package in process and its working fine. PV is connected with 8 pin mini DIN port and HMI/Programmer port is spare.

Now I've to read some tags from this Micrologix1200 PLC via serial communication.

Please suggest me some architecture/philosophy to get this thing done.

Regards,
Jawad Rasool

I didn't get you, what exactly you want to Do. To create a tag in FTV you must have communication between controller and PV. Click HMI Tags / Tags Browser and check can you see the tags from the controller, then go a head and create your tags as you want.

Last edited:
Hello All,

I want to connect another device with MicroLogix1200 to read some tags from controller. There are two 8 pin mini DIN ports on MicroLogix1200 one is already occupied by PV 300.

The remaining port can only communicate on DF1 protocol.

Please let me know if anyone has performed communication with a device/personal computer using this DF1 port.

The purpose of the second port is to use DF1 Full Duplex protocol to communicate with a PC or HMI.

The most common software for this purpose is ordinary RSLinx Classic.

Take a step back and think about what the client software is going to be. Excel ? Visual Basic ? Some sort of HMI software ?

So I’m guessing this thread you posted is the same application.
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=95440
So, first off, DF1 is an RS232 protocol. My recommendation would be that you read up on DF1 (http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/rm/1770-rm516_-en-p.pdf).
Yes you can use both ports at the same time however you do need to know how the port is configured (DF1 full duplex, half duplex, what baud rate, etc…). If the port has not been used it’s possible that it has not been configured and is at its default settings. If so it should be at DF1 full duplex with a baud rate of 19.2kbaud. With that you will need RSLinx setup the same way.
What you’ve not said is what are you trying to connect to the port with.