Wonderware WindowMaker under Windows-7 without Admin Priv?

sanger

We are in the process of testing Wonderware 10.3 under Windows-7 64-bit and one thing we have noticed is that WindowMaker will not run without administrator privileges. Has anyone encountered this and have a workaround? Currently accounts with even local admin privs are tightly controlled on all Windows-7 machines here.

First ... Win7 Pro was not suppported until InTouch 10.1 SP3. Make sure that you have that version or better installed.

Next ... did you disable the UAC?

We are using InTouch 10.1 SP3. UAC is forced on by Group Policy on all machines. Not even site administrators have the capability of turning it off.

Right from the Readme file from InTouch 10.1

UAC - Disable UAC before installing the Wonderware Application Server 3.1 SP3 and InTouch 10.1 SP3, applicable for Windows Vista and newer operating systems.ctino

Right from the InTouch Installation Instructions

Before You Install InTouch HMI Software

During the installation procedure, you must make a series of decisions that determine how InTouch software is installed. These decisions are described in the following list.
  • The InTouch HMI requires Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 or .NET Framework 3.0, which are both at version CLR 2.0.50727.
The InTouch installation program stops and shows a dialog box if Microsoft .NET Framework version 2.0 or 3.0 is not installed on the computer where the installation CD is located. You must select one of the following options from the dialog box:
    • Click OK to install Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 and proceed with the InTouch software installation.
    • Click Skip to temporarily exit from the installation procedure and manually install .NET Framework. After installing .NET Framework, you return to the InTouch installation procedure.
    • Click Cancel to exit from the InTouch installation procedure.
  • The default folder location to install the InTouch HMI is:
C:\Program Files\Wonderware\InTouch
You can accept the default location or select an alternative folder.
  • InTouch supplementary components are not installed by default. You can optionally select one or more of the following supplementary components and install them with the InTouch HMI.
    • SPCPro
    • SQL Access Manager
    • Recipe Manager
    • Symbol Factory
    • 16-Pen Trend
  • If the InTouch HMI is the first ArchestrA-based product installed on the selected computer, you must add an administrator user account for off node communication. You can create a new local user account or use an existing account.
    • All ArchestrA nodes that communicate with other must use the same user account.
    • The ArchestrA user account must have administrator privileges and a permanent password.
  • If you are installing the InTouch HMI on a computer that is a member of an Active Directory domain, the installer detects this. During installation, the OS Configuration Utility sets required security values that may be overwritten by your site’s Active Directory domain policies.
If you experience problems running the InTouch HMI after you install it, contact your Active Directory administrator and review your site’s domain security policies. Then, contact your local Wonderware support provider.
  • You can install any of the Wonderware Application Server components, such as the Integrated Development Environment (IDE) or the Galaxy Repository, immediately after you install the InTouch HMI. The last InTouch installation dialog box includes a check box to specify whether you want to install a Wonderware Application Server component. You install Application Server components from the Wonderware Application Server CD.
If you decide to install an Application Server component, you see a dialog box to specify the location of the Wonderware Application Server CD after you finish the InTouch installation procedure.

Last edited: