1768-L45 and a SEW drive problem

grahma

I am currently running revision 17.1 on a L45 series B AB processor to control a SEW PLC with 2 SEW inverters. There is no issues communicating with a SEW PLC with this revision.
I attempted to update to version 20.03 on the L45 processor and the SEW network is faulting out, several motor faults spread out between 2hrs and 2 minutes, very inconsistent. I was just wondering if there is someone else out there that has run across this?
Any advise would he helpful.

More information will definitely help.

My guess is that this is an EtherNet/IP network with a MOVI-DRIVE, but it could be one of the other SEW products like a MOVI-PLC control module.

I'm not aware of issues where a v17 controller would work but a v20 controller would give "random" faults.

Do you have any details about the drive faults ? Are you sure they're network-related ? Are there any details in the fault code on the SEW controller ?

How do the drive recover; automatically, or do you need to go through some kind of reset routine ?

Have you thoroughly checked the network for media problems ? This means checking the diagnostics on every port of every device. If you don't have diagnostics for every Ethernet link, you don't have a properly built industrial network.

Add info

you are right Ken, Ethernet IP, and there are no comm faults , the faults that is displayed on the HMI is "motor 2 fault". When the problem first arose we changed everything , including motor 2. Then, when that didn't work we put 2 and 2 together and rolled back the revision to 17 and mo more motor faults.
I have attached the 2 rungs coming from the SEW PLC, I am under the impression that the description for motor 2 bits are the same as motor 1.
I am not able to get into the SEW network for some reason , but if it was a network issue why would 17 work and not 20?
I was thinking more of a timeout issue?? The read instruction for the SEW PLC is 10ms. So my question is, does V20 have a more streamlined communication setup, and if so is it dropping the communications bit before it can be scanned again?

I think that the CompactLogix version number is a coincidence.

From what you've posted, communications is being maintained with the MOVI-PLC, but the MOVI-PLC is sending fault indications to the CompactLogix.

See what the MOVI-PLC documentation has to say about the "Fault/Warning" bit and the "Inverter Ready" bit.

The addressing is directly to the MOVI-PLC's I/O connection. Is there logic that writes zeroes to the Input data tags somewhere ? That would be a really bad idea, but it's not impossible that somebody did it.

Are you absolutely sure that the MOVI-PLC isn't faulting with some other condition ? This logic really is suggesting that the drive is faulting and that the CompactLogix is correctly getting that indication.

You are correct ,and that is what we thought , hence the replacement of all the parts , the "A" box the "E" box , and the motor. We even swapped the "E" box from motor 2 to motor 1 with the same results, motor 2 faulting out. The only that seems to have fixed the problem is revision 17.
I can not find anywhere is the Logix program where we right 0 to the SEW PLC, we do send a reset bit back but the rest is read for monitoring. Now, motor 2 is the farthest address on the network , about 200ft away from the main control cabinet??

[FONT=&quot]The answer was the cabling, for some reason the installation team ran both the main network and the sub-network into the 5 port switch. I separated them; running the main into its own ENBT card and the sub-network, SEW, into the switch including its own ENBT card.[/FONT]

I wonder if there was a simple network loop that caused a "network storm" that wasn't broken by Spanning Tree protocol, or if there was just heavy traffic that was interfering with the I/O abilities of the SEW or A-B gear.

Either way, thanks for posting the followup, and I'm glad to hear you got it working !