Micrologix with Proficy HMI/SCADA

Hello, I have a Micrologix 1400 plc and we are using GE's Proficy HMI/SCADA iFix 5.8. The plc program is for a tipping bucket rain gauge, I have it set up to record each tip to an integer, then multiply it by .01 and saving that to a float. Everything works like it should. However, when I tried to connect the F8:0 address to the SCADA, it doesn't register anything. When it rains, the datalink on the SCADA will go from 0 to 1, but only a 1 no matter what the amount is. when F8:0 is reset, the SCADA will show 0 again. How do I make the SCADA show the value of F8:0?
I have other float values working, but they are analog inputs. So the address in the database is correct for the rain gauge.
Any help would be appreciated!!

How did you perform the calculation? Was it through a chain?

I don't understand what F8 is doing... is it communicated back to the PLC?
This will depend on your driver, but with IGS and maybe kepware, have you tried adding @float to the end of the tag address?

BucketTipping.Micrologix.F8:0@float
??

I only had to do this with Shorts, so I'm not sure if it's float you have to type of real... but that should be available in the help file.

I did try to add @float to the end of the tag, that didn't work. F8:0 holds the total amount of rainfall. Each tip of the bucket adds 1 to N7:0, then N7:0 is multiplied by .01 to calculate the rainfall and the product is stored in F8:0 since it's a decimal. I also tried using N7:0 in the tag to show the number of tips, and that didn't work either. We are using IGS also.

Ok, so F8:0 is the value you want to read.
Is it displaying correctly in the PLC?

Is the syntax of the tag correct?

I have other float values working, but they are analog inputs.

Isn't the tag you configured an analog input as well?

Last edited:
Not a problem to do.
Floats are AI blocks, the AI address should point to the F8 register and on the iFix pic you may have to set the number of decimals you want displayed on the datalink. i.e "%2.2f inches" in RAW format. Same is true on the block setup min/max, but that only surfaces on Trends

Thanks!! I didn't think about that. I can delete a couple rungs then.

cardosocea, yes the syntax of the tag is correct, but the tag I configured is a DI block since it was a digital signal. I will change it to an AI block though. Thanks to both of you for the help!