Stepper Motors and Micrologix 1400 PLC's (BXB Model)

Tremaino

Thought I'd post this to help other's out :) Any further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Credit to Keithkyll for his advice!,

Using 24v power supply, TB6600 or DM542T driver + stepper motor, Micrologix 1400 BXB PLC, RSLogix 500

I'm building a 6 axis robotic arm controlled via PLC (Micrologix 1400 BXB model = 1766 L32BXB) and using stepper motors controlled via either a digital driver (DM542T from Stepper online) or TB6600 analog driver.

The BXB PLC uses a PNP output, and has 24Vdc and both these types of drivers utilise 5V input. I've gone thru plenty of posts and none of them seem to apply to my scenario, so I thought I'd get Keithkyll's opinion.
Is it just as easy as putting a resistor inline to bring the High speed output down to 5V and giving a 2nd signal (also with resistor) for direction, or will a voltage regulator work better?

I was then going to put the desired settings in the function files to control ramp up / continuous jog etc (Note: the dip switch settings on the driver as this is what you are going to set up in the PTOX function file)

I understand it only has 3 PTO's, however I wasn't planning on using them all at once, so figure I could just switch via relay.

Many thanks for your help!

Keithkyll reply: The DM542T User's Manual says to use 2K series resistors for 24 volts. Figure 9 shows typical connection for NPN. For PNP, connect PLC to + terminals. Tie all - terminals to 0 volts/GND.

NOTE: I tried using a 5V power supply switching thru the PLC - whilst this worked - it seems a lot better to use a 24V Power supply with 2K inline resistors (made it a lot smoother).

Last edited: