1746 HSCE to N104V

mrbj

Hi,
I am having some difficulty with the following, any input is gratefully received.
System
AB SLC 5/03.
1746 - HSCE Card for encoder 1024ppr encoder input.
1746 - N104V 2channel analogue input/output card.
Drive roller dia = 100mm (~4inch)
The encoder is mounted on the motor shaft.
The motor - gearbox ratio is 1400rpm - 60rpm
The machine drive roller pulls material through the machine at about 10m/min
Q1
What happens when the encoder reaches its roll over value of 32767?
Q2
I need to measure the speed of the machine via the encoder and send a 0-10V output to another drive card via the analogue output card.
I assume I will have to convert ppr to rpm and then to a value that the analogue card can use for the 0-10volt output.
Q3
I also need to measure the amount of material passing through the machine.

I would appreciate any help / suggestions on how to achieve the above.

Regards,
mrbj

Q1 - The encoder will do what you configure it to do. If you configure it as a Linear Counter an overflow or underflow error will result. If you configure it as a Ring Counter it will roll over to 0 if it exceeds the maximum (32767) value.

Q2 - The frequency of the input pulses is available in the Rate Measurement word (I:s.3). If you want your rate in engineering units, then take the value of the Rate Measurement (counts/sec) and divide it by your scale factor (units/count).

As for using the analog output, that is up to you. A straight forward way is to use the Scale with Parameter instruction. The input, input minimum, and input maximum can be a function of your process. The scaled minimum could be -32767, the scaled maximum could be 32767, and the output would be the address of your analog output.

Q3 - The counts can also be converted to engineering units just as you would the frequency. If you convert counts to revolutions, then you need to convert revolutions to equivalent linear distance. You should be able to figure that relationship based on the information you gave about the encoder, gear box and diameter.

I suggest you get and use the High-Speed Counter Module User Manual from Rockwell web site.