Parameters for FactoryTalk View Studio

jrsnydley

Hey everyone, I am building a display that will be using parameters in FactoryTalk View Studio. It will show the status of different fans and valves for evaporator units throughout our plant. Some have more fans than others. Is there a way I can give a fixed value to a parameter (a 1 or a 0) to have the fan be visible or not or would I have to have a bit or something in my UDT in the PLC program that would allow it to be visible. Also can I put a string in a parameter for a page title or would that have to come from a string tag as well. Thanks!

You can do it either way. Add a placeholder for the object name. You can use an element in the object the control visibility of parts or assign another placeholder that you can be assigned to a tag that is true or false in the PLC or a system tag.

Make a global object and assign the placeholders as parameter.

When you copy an instance of the global object, right click and assign the tags to the placeholders.

I am not sure you can use a literal 1 or 0 but there is no good reason. Even if not you can use a plc tag in the that is true or false or use a system/

Last edited:
The Parameter File is a TAG Place holder.

So if you put in {#1}=1 it will look for a tag named 1.

If you create a Memory Tag Named 1 with an initial value of 1 then you could use it.

I use TRUE / FALSE for 1/0 and I use NULL_STRING for an empty string.

Parameter help.PNG

I was looking for a way to just pass a number in the global objects also. Seems odd that you can’t.

I did find like cwal61, that you can just use a visibility animation based on the string from global objects own parameters. When I want to hide something I just make a hide this global object parameter and then use its string in the visibility animation.

I’ve seen others use an array of static memory tags also.

Global Object Parameter
#500 Hide Use "Hide" to hide the Valve % Open - Any other string to show.

Visibility Animation Expression
"#500" == "Hide"

I was looking for a way to just pass a number in the global objects also. Seems odd that you can’t.

I did find like cwal61, that you can just use a visibility animation based on the string from global objects own parameters. When I want to hide something I just make a hide this global object parameter and then use its string in the visibility animation.

I’ve seen others use an array of static memory tags also.

Global Object Parameter
#500 Hide Use "Hide" to hide the Valve % Open - Any other string to show.

Visibility Animation Expression
"#500" == "Hide"

Those will work just fine; don't use too many on a display.

The string expressions take longer to evaluate. If you had 100 of them on a display you may start to notice a display loading delay (ex. wireframes).

The memory tag with a digital value would be best.
So your expression there would simply be the tag name (no ==)