Unity programming

JoeMTricker

I'm an electrical technician, so NOT a PLC/PAC expert. I work mostly with SLC's and Contrologix. Some of the old TI505 series. My son works somewhere else and is getting into Unity. He wants to know how to read from/write to another PLC on the network. Does anyone know the Unity equivalent to AB's produced/consumed?

Thanks in advance,
Joe T

works very different from the AB consume/produce there are comms blocks that are used in Unity under communication , you then configure the block to map data eg set IP add , starting reg to read and the total number to read and where to store the data that should get the data you need, they also have a scanner that you setup when using ModbusTCP is found on your communication card.

I'm an electrical technician, so NOT a PLC/PAC expert. I work mostly with SLC's and Contrologix. Some of the old TI505 series. My son works somewhere else and is getting into Unity. He wants to know how to read from/write to another PLC on the network. Does anyone know the Unity equivalent to AB's produced/consumed?

Thanks in advance,
Joe T

I presume when you say Unity you are referring to Schneider's programming package Unity Pro, yes ?

There is lots of option in the Schneider world for messaging but firstly have a read up on the IO Scanning service (this is depended on hardware though) and then READ_VAR, WRITE_VAR.

Lol, OP is referring to a different Unity software, not Unity3D the gaming dev platform.

Cross-PLC comms on the Modicon platform is easiest done through Modbus TCP. As mentioned by others, you can set up I/O scanning service to do automated read/writes or you can do the comms within the logic itself using READ_VAR and WRITE_VAR function blocks. The latter is more work but will allow for more granular control over the nature of the data requests.

The above only needs to be done on the master delivering the read or write requests, the slave only needs to make sure the required data to be read from or written to is in the registers targeted by the master.