FT View SE - How not to have 4 Pump Global Objects - Move part based on parameter?

Tanquen

V 10.00.01
Patch 9

Looking for the best way to have two or more variations of the same global object. Say a pump with a valve and sometimes you need it on one side or the other of the pump.

You can’t nest global objects, so…

You can’t use the vertical or horizontal position animation on most anything like groups, so…

Make two or more global objects. :( Then you have to keep them all up to date.

Use VBA to change the valve groups Left and Top values? I’ve done a little VBA but it’s seems like it’s always a pain to get the object name a dot filed you what to make the change to and not have to hard code the object name. If it could even be done.

Last edited:
Typically if i have a global object (for instance an on/off pump) that i need to show the pump discharge either up, down, left or right i will make 4 exact pumps (say pointing left) and change the other 3 to the additional directions that i need. These 4 pump objects will then just live on the same global object screen/page. When i need something other than a pump pointing left i'll go and grab the needed direction.

Make two or more global objects. :( Then you have to keep them all up to date.

That's what I do as well.
But there is a simple way to update the Global Objects.

Make sure that your G.O. are always a group. That lets you change anything without affecting the link to all the reference objects.

To update your four versions:
1. Update one version, ex. the "left"
2. Copy that entire G.O. then paste it inside of each of the other three G.O. copies (ex. inside the right, up and down).
3. Delete all the other object inside the other three G.O. copies.
4. Change the icon in each copy as needed.

Obviously, try that out on some test objects first. But it seems to be the easiest way.