L30ER to L32E IO configuration

KingPresident

I have a L30ER with a revision of 28.011 and it opens in Studio 5000.

I have a L32E with a revision of 19.11 and it opens in RSL5K.

On the rev28.011 PLC I can see the L32E on the list and configure the module.

On the rev19.11 PLC I cannot see the L30ER.

I'm missing a piece of knowledge here. What can I do to get my L32E with the lower revision to show L30ER as an option when adding a module to my Ethernet IO configuration in RSlogix5000?

There's no AOP or profile to add to RSLogix 5000 v19 that will make the modern CompactLogix selectable in the I/O tree.

Instead, enter a 1769-L35E at the target IP address, with the highest firmware revision selectable (which should be v19). That object will serve as the Producer for Consumed Tags that you configure in your v19 project.

2nd Generation CompactLogix (1769-L32E and -L35E) used a virtual backplane object and considered the CPU to be in Slot 0 and the Ethernet daughtercard to be in Slot 1.

3rd and 4th Generation CompactLogix (1769 and 5069 families) consider the CPU and the Ethernet daughtercard to both be in the same network-facing object, without Slot numbers. The IP address is the endpoint of the CIP path.

But the newer CompactLogix know that when they receive a Consumed Tag connection request that points to the backplane and Slot 0, they can treat it as though the endpoint is the controller object with the IP address.

This gives you pretty much universal forward compatibility; any modern or future CompactLogix can Produce tags that will be consumed by any old controller.