UNITY Pro PLC Programming with Modicon Premium

Niwresh

First of all, Good day to all!!!
I'm only new here, and a newbie on automation.
Now, I'm looking for any help to start programming & diagnostic for a Modicon Premium PLC using Unity Pro.
Is there any presentations, pdfs, or procedure how to get started on programming, and on how to connect to the PLC easily.
I'm also having such problems like ERR flashing on the processor, and to the DI/O cards also.
Then, I don't know if my cable is not good at all which I set some configs that still lead me to incorrect connection. Is it also possible that my PC itself has communication problem due to I switched com ports but still failed.
Really need help, suggestion, & advises!!
Thanks in advance!!;)
GOD Bless!!

Last edited:
Hi,

Is this an existing installation, or are you starting with new hardware?

You need to give us catalog numbers for your processor, the Premium series has a couple of different offerings.

Personally, I find Ethernet is the easiest method for getting Unity Pro talking to the processor. Look in the manual for the default IP address. If you don't have the Ethernet port model, tell us what connection type you're trying to use.

The processor error light will probably be on straight out the box, since you will have no program loaded. I don't remember exactly though, i thankfully don't see the ones I look after without programs in them!

The documentation in Unity is reasonably good, I've only been using Unity and the P57 processors for about a year now and it wasn't that steep a learning curve. Just load up a demo app, i think Unity comes with 3 of them for different processors.

Good day Saffa!!!

Good day Saffa!!!

First of all, thank you very much for having some time, and knowledge to share about my concern. I really appreciate that.

Anyway,this is a new hardware that should be programmed & installed. However, there's a previous engineer who handled this but resigned and just said that it was already programmed with UNITY Pro v5.0 trial. But I'm using a v4.1 license. Then, I want to see what's in it to continue. But because I can't connect thru Unitelway wiht this configuration; at Set Address window: PLC - Address=SYS & Media=UNTLW01.
And I'd tried all the com ports that is set by the driver (replacing thru setting at device manager) until it works, but still failed. I'm using a cable TSXCUSB485 (ON-Polarization & TER Direct settings) connected to TSXCRJMD25 before it goes to the TER port o the TSXP571634 Processor. I've just search that as long as my setting is like that (above), the other problems could be my on PC communications. What do you think?!

By the way, how could I connect with Ethernet. what cable can I use? Could I use the TSXCUSB485 & connecting a LAN cable to it before it goes to the Processor ETY Port? About the IP address, I just see a MAC address on the module and a default address 16# 54 00<networkaddress><stationaddress> in the manual. Can you please advise how is the method and what cable/s to be used?

About the ERR always flashing after the RUN & I/O indicators off, I see one table that says, it is PLC not configured (application absent, not invalid or incompatible). Does it mean there is really no programmed in it, or is it protected only. And does difference in version of Unity Pro has relation to it?

Yeah, I saw the demo app in 3 processors, but most of them was programmed in ST Language. I'm more in Ladder environment and it's 5years back with Omron-Sysmac. I just see a more complicated environment on this Schneider-Unity Pro. Well, I hope I can get over, and be used to it. But still, of course if there is a manual or procedure which can tell a shortcut or an easy method in program this, is more welcome for me.

Well, apology for this too long story/issues.
However, I will be very thankful for your reply and advises. And I hope your good experience in this could help me much.

Thank you very much again!!
GOD Bless!!

Hi Niwresh,

I haven't had to use the Unitelway connections before unfortunately, so i'm not sure what else to suggest you check there. Of course the previous guy might have changed the baud rate in the PLC, but only way to know is once you get online with Unity.

took me a while to find this, hopefully it's applicable to your processor:

If a TSX ETY 4103/PORT/5103 module is not configured in the Unity Pro application
(RUN LED off and ERR LED blinking), it takes the IP address built from its MAC
address:
085.016.xxx.yyy where xxx and yyy are the last two numbers of the MAC address.
Example
The module’s MAC address is (in hexadecimal): 00 80 F4 01 12 20
In this case the default IP address is (in decimal): 085.016.018.032
The module also transmits BOOTP/DHCP requests to obtain another IP address.
These requests are sent until a BOOTP/DHCP server responds or until configuration
by Unity Pro.
If the module detects a duplicated IP address, the STS LED flashes 4 times during
one minute (the same applies for the module that has the same IP address).

So... hopefully, if the previous guy hasn't messed around with the Ethernet port, you should be able to connect it up to a managed switch or ordinary broadband router with DHCP and the DHCP server will assign it an IP Address. You could then look in your router's DHCP server client list to match the MAC address to its new IP address.

Once you've got an IP address confirmed, you can configure that in Unity Pro and get online.

If you don't have a router with a DHCP server, you should be able to find a version you could run on your laptop.

See if you have any luck with the ethernet port and come back to me.

The Status (STS) light will also indicate what the ETY port is trying to do, if you still have no luck count the flashes and tell me how many.

Hi Saffa!!!

This TSX ETY 4103/PORT/5103 module is not available with us.
Is there any option to connect it directly to the ETY Port into the PC?And how's the configuration?
Anyways, I tried to think outside the box and connect the PLC to another PC (only with trial UNITY Pro), and it's working with the Unitelway settings. I've just proved that my PC's comports-communication are not good (but I still need to work it with my PC). And when I tried to transfer project from PC to PLC, this came out: "Cartridge declared in configuration, but no executable cartridge exists on the PLC currently connected." However, there is a RS485 MP PCMCIA Board inserted on the slot no.1, is this the cartridge one or not, or what do I need? Please kindly advise!! Thanks!! GOD Bless!!

Hi Niwresh,

The "TSX ETY 4103/PORT/5103" actually refers to 3 different things. in your case its just the "PORT" bit, since you've got a built in ethernet port and not an add-on comms card (the 4103 and 5103 modules).

So you should still be able to work out the IP address from the MAC address. You can just connect the ETY port on the processor to a normal network switch with a normal ethernet cable, then a seperate ethernet cable from the switch to your PC.

However, since you've gone online with another machine I think we need to figure out the comms issue with your computer.

Are you running the same version of Windows on both machines? What version, XP or Windows 7?

Are the drivers for your USB to RS485 converter up to date? Make sure they're installed with Administrator privilages under Windows 7 if you're using that.

If you can, use the "Archive" option from the Unity Pro file menu to export your application in XEF format. Zip it up and send it to me. I'll PM you my email address. Then I can more easily look over what comms settings you've got.

That cartridge error sounds like it's expecting something different in one of the PCMCIA slots I think. Try removing it and see what happens. In Unity, ff you go to Project -> configuration and double click on the processor listed there it'll show you a little graphic. You can click on the PCMCIA cards in the picture and change their configuration. Selecting the processor itself and double clicking will let you see what's configured for each PCMCIA slot. Make sure it matches your hardware.

Hi Saffa!!!

Hope that you're having a nice day!!
Sorry, it took me a while to reply due to my other 2 projects.
Anyways, I already get connected but with USB-Serial + TSXPCX1031 model comm. cable thru UNITELWAY. Because, the *(TSXCUSB485 + TSXCRJMD25) still can't work with my PC. The previous guy told me that maybe I used the same cables before and my PC is confused to read by taking their serial numbers, but I'm not sure with that, so I just try this good one which I should use for communicating the Magelis HMI & PLC.
However, I still open to the option if those *cables will gonna be OK. My system is XP.
But now, I'm more opt to use the Ethernet option and still finding time to know this method how. If you can elaborate this one, I will appreciate that much!!! And can I also use a USB-to-LAN cable with this connected to a crossover or straight through cable?
Thank you very much in advance!!!
GOD Bless!!!

Hi Niwresh,

Good news that you can now go online to the processor.

You should just be able to connect an ordinary ethernet cable between your laptop and the processor. These days pretty much all network cards have auto MDI detection so you don't usually have to get a cross-over cable.

But just to save you the hassle, grab a small network switch and two ethernet cables from your local computer shop. Plug one cable to the network port on your laptop and to the switch. Plug second cable from switch to PLC ETY port. If you don't have a built in network card on your laptop (which is unlikely) then you would have to use a USB-to-LAN device, but native ethernet ports are normally preferable.

Do you have an office LAN that you are connected to? if so, then you might want to unplug from that for now. Manually set an IP Address through Control Panel and network properties - are you familiar with doing this? I normally use a 192.168.1.10 address and 255.255.255.0 netmask for my PC. See attached document for how to configure the ethernet port in Unity. Set the IP Address to match, i.e. 192.168.1.20 and same subnet mask. I think you can build those changes while in Online mode.

If all is working well, you should be able to ping your PLC from a command line prompt.

You can then go back to Unity, go to PLC->Set Address, and select TCPIP as the media. Then enter the PLC IP address, and hopefully... it'll connect!

The above relies on you having a basic understanding of IP addresses and configuring Windows Network properties etc.

hope that helps.

Steve

Unity Pro addressing

wish a nice day for all;)
Q1:i have a question related to unity pro addressing when connecting between plc and scada tags and begin in testing some tags doesn't work properly (not give the required animation) and when changing address it work correctly although no tag take the same address jn plc.
icon6.gif
!!!!!!!!!!
Q2:when the same tag in the Q1 which dosen't worked due to address when testing another tag ,,, IT WORK AND GIVE STATUS=1 (BOOL) !!!!!!!!!!!!
icon9.gif

I need to bite clarifications????
thanks in advance