YASKAWA MP 2300 ًReference Encoder

Prince

I need to design a flying cutoff system with

MP2300 - MECHATROLINK-II communication
SGDV Servo drive
SGMVV Servo

How should I read the line speed reference? Does MP2300 have an extra input for an external encoder?
is MECHATROLINK-II communication enough for drive control?
Do they have an extra software package for flying cutoff application?

Last edited:
1. MP2300 does not have an extra input for an external encoder. However, a Sigma-5 (SGDV) servo drive can be outfitted with what Yaskawa calls "fully-closed loop option card" where a second encoder can be plugged in.

2. Mechatrolink-II is perfectly capable to handle almost all of the drive control and motion tasks - it is a determenistic fast communication protocol developed by Yaskawa exactly for that purpose. For newer designs, you may consider upgrading to newer Mechatrolink-III though - it is faster and even more capable.

3. I have never used it but I have seen on Yaskawa US web site some examples of "flying saw" application, this type of app being fairly common for servos. Check the site or call your nearest Yaskawa rep - their tech support is typically very good, at least in the US.

1. Do you suggest that I buy the optional card for servo drive then read the ext enc. value through Mechatronic II from the drive? Do you think it is fast enough? Isn't it pricey to buy an extra control card for just an encoder value?

2. Thanks

3. I will check. I normally try to select the parts once by myself before talking to support. ;)

1. Do you suggest that I buy the optional card for servo drive then read the ext enc. value through Mechatronic II from the drive? Do you think it is fast enough? Isn't it pricey to buy an extra control card for just an encoder value?

Typically you just order a drive with the "fully-closed loop" option; it will come with the option module pre-installed and pre-configured by Yaskawa. The option module adds a couple hundred dollars to the cost of the drive; also consult the catalog as an option module mounts to the side of the drive so you will need about 20 mm more of the panel space.

Yes, it IS fast since it communicates with the drive via the drive's internal bus - cannot be any faster than that.

These are just guidelines of course - I would caution to discuss this app with a Yaskawa application engineer before making a commitment and spending money.

Now, if you want to, you can take an entirely different approach: install a high-speed counter module (CNTR-01) into a spare slot of MP2300 controller. This way your master encoder will be plugged in directly into the PLC and its value can be evaluated every PLC scan (typically 2 to 5 ms, depending on the size of the application)

You don't state whether you are using the MP2300 or MP2300SIEC controller. I believe that in either case adding an LIO1[Sinking Inputs] OR LIO2 [Sourcing Inputs] should provide the required encoder inputs you require.

Hello, I am trying to enter the parameters of an MP940 unit with the CPMC-MPE720 Engineering tool MPE720 software
Version 5 (130) and I can't find where to enter: USER CONSTANTS (CF), USER VARIABLES (MF ML MB MW) AND SYSTEM VARIABLES (MB MF OW), please could you tell me how to enter them?
Thank you so much.