factory talk view studio doesn't import all tags

chue.lee

I tried importing some timer tags into factory talk but only 4 or 5 of them came up. I'm trying to use the tag name for the timer to allow the user to see the default preset and be able to change the preset from the touchscreen. My question is, how do I get all the timer tags or all the tags into the factory talk view studio database? thanks

Hi, at first, three questions :

1. Which data server are you using?
2. Which PLC does the View connect to?
3. Which FactoryTalk View you mean (SE or ME)?

In FactoryTalk View, you have the option to not create an HMI database for the tags, but you can point to the PLC database directly, and see all what is down there.

You have to configure your Data Server (i.e. RSLinx OPC server / RSLinxEnterprise) and you can then browse for the tags in the PLC.
Or you can use an offline file from the PLC to get its tags.

- [font=comic sans ms,sans-serif]fuzzy logic[/font]

How exactly are you importing them?
From what PLC?

And Fuzzy, for timer presets and such, it's very handy to bring them into the tag database... Set the 'Scale' to 0.001, and deal with Logix timebase and accumulated values directly in seconds.

rdrast, you're right (y)

There are also other methods to do this... keeping Direct Tag Referencing (that optimizes performances and also leaves you more free time :ROFLMAO: )

Here attached is an example...

- [font=comic sans ms,sans-serif]fuzzy logic[/font]

With all due respect, that is kludgy, and plays total havoc with the 'Tag Replacement' function.

I gave Direct Tag Referencing a shot on two or three large projects, and have since completely abandoned it as an unmaintainable waste of time. I know there are other opinions, but really... I can't stand it.

I generally use the Import/Export utility (which, of course is partially broken) and fix up the imports in Excel. Then I can use the same tag database to import to ME and SE projects. Then I go ahead, and create most of my displays in ME, so they are importable to SE... The whole system is actually pretty kludgy :)

Oddly, I do use direct referencing for almost all of my VBA database work, but there I'm working with code in one defined place.

Last edited:
hi.... i have a similar problem, the case is am trying to connect factorytalk hmi with codesys v2.3, but i cant import tags from codesys to factorytalk.
codesys has an OPC server, and thus it should allow it to cannect to the factorytalk.

so what should i do???? pleas....

best regards.

hi.... i have a similar problem, the case is am trying to connect factorytalk hmi with codesys v2.3, but i cant import tags from codesys to factorytalk.
codesys has an OPC server, and thus it should allow it to cannect to the factorytalk.

so what should i do???? pleas....

best regards.

You don't "Import Tags" via an OPC connection, FTView isn't nearly that smart.

Right click your project tree somewhere, and add the codesys OPC server. Then you should be able to access it.

Hey rdrast,

I'm trying to use parameter files to replace part of my tags that are in the PLC and it doesn't seem to be cooperating. For instance, I would normally have the indicator connection point to {[PLC]Sta5_SonicFeeds.Advd}. I'm limited on available screens so I also want this button to work for {[PLC]Sta2_SonicFeeds.Advd}, etc.

I created a parameter file for station 5 and defined #01=Sta5 in the file.
I then replaced the connection {[PLC]Sta5_SonicFeeds.Advd} with {[PLC]#01_SonicFeeds.Advd}.

Is this how it is supposed to work?

With all due respect, that is kludgy, and plays total havoc with the 'Tag Replacement' function.

I gave Direct Tag Referencing a shot on two or three large projects, and have since completely abandoned it as an unmaintainable waste of time. I know there are other opinions, but really... I can't stand it.

I generally use the Import/Export utility (which, of course is partially broken) and fix up the imports in Excel. Then I can use the same tag database to import to ME and SE projects. Then I go ahead, and create most of my displays in ME, so they are importable to SE... The whole system is actually pretty kludgy :)

Oddly, I do use direct referencing for almost all of my VBA database work, but there I'm working with code in one defined place.

Try this {#1.Advd}
Then Parameter file would be #1={[PLC]Sta5_SonicFeeds} OR
#1 {[PLC]Sta2_SonicFeeds}

You also could just use parameter list, instead of parameter file.

James

@controlsgirl

Assuming you're asking about ViewME.
Just tested as per your settings and works fine.
As suggested, you could also use Parameter List instead.

- fuzzy logic

Param1.png