Allen Bradley Power Meters

RSVIEWRULZ

I have Allen Bradley Power meters installed and collecting tons of Data.... Name it and it is there.... (PowerMonitor 3000's)

I am looking for help in what to do with the data to determine electrical cost.

Does anyone have a spreadsheet or know of a decent program to utilize this info. I do have Rspower and find it nice but the interface to Rsview is not as sweet as you would expect

I guess I am lacking knowledge as to how to utilize the infor presented.

I also looked at Rsenergy but is a far far far over kill.

Any help, files or ideas would be appreciated!

Thx

To compare cost(s) the first thing you have to do is get copies of your detailed Electrical consumption and price per KW/KVA.

You can collect usage all you want but until you get in touch with the electrical utility company there is nothing to compare.

Then use that data to determine machine costs per day, per shift etc.

Determine if identical machines, A & B, are running different costs.

If Department A compared to Department B is running different costs.

YOU have to determine WHAT to do with the numbers you get.

You also have to determine if WHERE there is a NEED to compare costs.

Thanks rsdoran!

I appreciate the input.

I know how to decipher the data and apply to the operations….

I am looking more to how to come up with the data from the information received from the Power Monitors.

For example,
Once I know the rate, discounts and such, I want to be able to input that data as a constant and add the meter readings to determine the costs. Like in a predifined excel spreadsheet or something of the sort.

Thanks again!

Energy Management.

As Ron pointed out you should consider what it is you are trying to accomplish first and then collect the data you need to support that effort. In a nut shell, once you know all the info from the power utility that you purchase power from, you have essentially three areas you can analyze and look for savings in. These areas are consumption of raw KWH either total plant or by area or machine for that matter. As a plant or area, you may also have demand savings that can be had. Demand is charged by most utilities as pure KW demand and is the load that your company represents to the utility at your most consumptive part of the day or other time period. The power company has to have the reserve capacity to sustain the line voltage when all their customers are at peak demand or you get the great blackout of Aug. 14. They usually price demand in $/KW of demand and use peak picking to find your worst case. It is also reset ever higher sometimes every 15 to 30 minutes for a season that is predefined as your locations highest demand part of a year. Once you set the peak, you pay on that the entire contract year even if you never reach it again. That is worth looking into. The third area would be if you have a high reactive power factor and have not taken remedial steps to correct it. Utilities often penalize customers for a bad power factor by hitting you with KVAR charges. It would help to know which of the AB power monitors you are using. I looked on the AB site and found several models and variations listed.