Screw jack instead of hydraulic cylinder

Prince

I am thinking about changing a previous design from hydraulic cylinder into screw jack. I want to replace a 1000 ton hyd cylinder with 10 screw jacks.

I will be grateful to see any comment about this idea. I understand that I would need to synchronize the 10 drives

Is it more pricey?

Last edited:
It will, more than likely, be more expensive in terms of installation, reliability and maintenance. Lubrication of the screws will be critical at this load

The post is scant on details, but assuming your hydraulic system is running at 5000PSI, you currently have a single cylinder that is somewhere around 24" in diameter. Replacing this with 10 screw jacks is possible, but I'm guessing space availability may be an issue.

I have replaced single cylinders with multiple screw jacks, but I generally have generally used a single hydraulic motor linked to each screw with chains and sprockets

Can you be more specific in the scope of the project and include a sketch?

I don't see this app being very reliable in the long run. Granted the screws would be more powerful than the cylinder, as long as you CAN turn the screws.

Also, if this is a lifting app, then definitely no go. I'd rather have one cylinder to brace up and lockout than have to worry about bracing up 9 shafts to remove one bent/broke shaft.

I would also imagine depending on what gear ratio that you cipher out that you would require, I would suspect that the cycle time of the machine would be considerably slower. Cause I would be a sizable fudge factor into the ratio to make sure you overcome natural forces like a man with an electric grease gun.

Just my .02

That's a Hydrotester apparatus for pipes. It fills a pipe with water then increase and hold the pressure for a limited time.

The hyd jack is used to keep the pipe sealed while the pressure is increasing

Last edited:
What is your reasoning for replacing the hydraulics ith mechanical, is it purely price or something else. Sounds like a great application for a properly designed and maintained hydraulic system.

I can just see the fun in trying to keep ten of these jacks applying equal pressure. Looking into my crystal ball, I see broken parts in your not too distant future...