Quickly adding the sum of 60 registers.

The JMP, LBL and pointer sounds like "tricky fun". I will play with that someday just to make sure I understand it(but with only 5 registers!)
The CPT sounds like the way to go! If the 1400 has the CPT instruction(some processors don't), that is what I'll do.

"In a multitude of counselors, there is accomplishment."- Bible verse

The JMP, LBL and pointer sounds like "tricky fun". I will play with that someday just to make sure I understand it(but with only 5 registers!)
The CPT sounds like the way to go! If the 1400 has the CPT instruction(some processors don't), that is what I'll do.

"In a multitude of counselors, there is accomplishment."- Bible verse

Yes, the 1400 (all series) has the CPT instruction.

However, a string of 60 ADDs will execute faster. CPT very rarely wins in terms of speed against the "brute force" method.

If I get time later I'll do a test to see which is quicker.

By the way, I do find it odd that the 1400 series gives you advanced math instructions (trigonometric, etc.), but not the basic FAL, FSC. There never has been a SUM instruction in any model, but in those that have the AVE(rage) instruction, it's easy to get the SUM as the AVE x LENgth.

I think you have a bigger issue than speed.
if each conveyor runs independently, how do you propose to govern the speed
simultaneously? each drive will get its speed and then you have to test the speed for fast / slow. is there a way to make a master / slave operation out of the system?

regards,
james

James,

I believe the OP is looking for implementing an alarm logic when there is significant deviation from 'average'; I also presume it is a floating glass facility and the 'lower' conveyors are handling various thicknesses and cut size glass panels which are reciprocated for cooling and handling buffering purposes. It's just for signaling the operations to vary the overall line speed in order to maintain the quality of the final product while maintaining maximum output.

The ML1400 is probably an auxiliary to the Line CPU (Siemens S5?).