M340 - Tesys U Communcation

martin1

Hello,

I am new to the Schneider range of PLC's and im looking for some advice to communicating to 23 tesys U devices over modbus.

I also have a NOE0100 module communicating to a number of altivar VSD's

Can I add another NOE0100 and communicate using the IOscanner to the tesys U units or would Read_Var blocks be a better solution?

BTW, the PLC is a M340 CPS2020

Any advice would be a great help.

add the 23 additional devices to the existing NOE module IO scanning table?

I wish I could but I need to read the TesysU using the onboard modbus serial port.
I need to read/write multiple requests on a P341000 module.

Has anyone done something similar before?

I wish I could but I need to read the TesysU using the onboard modbus serial port.
I need to read/write multiple requests on a P341000 module.

Has anyone done something similar before?

Yes lots of people have, its a common architecture, although the path of least resistance is still the NOE I/O scanning table if you can swing it that way at all.

Do a search on here for READ_VAR there has been loads of discussions over the years about the subject and a few worked examples kicking around

Yes lots of people have, its a common architecture, although the path of least resistance is still the NOE I/O scanning table if you can swing it that way at all.

Do a search on here for READ_VAR there has been loads of discussions over the years about the subject and a few worked examples kicking around

The OPs problem is that the TeSys U is serial based not Ethernet.

With that many slaves I'd be worried about latency if using only one port.

I think they do an advantys adapter that can control up to 4 starters per module but that might be another model of starter I'm not sure

I think they do an advantys adapter that can control up to 4 starters per module but that might be another model of starter I'm not sure

Depends what and how often he is reading from the TeSys really though doesn't it ? Which is something we don't know.

He could just of course drop a Modbus gateways on there and use READ_VAR out of the existing NOE if he doesn't want to mess with his scan table,

I think its fair to say we are however both guessing without a bit more information.

Correct Saffa, latency is my worry. I am sure response time will be very slow polling 23 devices.

Correct Saffa, latency is my worry. I am sure response time will be very slow polling 23 devices.

How big is the network, what baud rate are you planning, how many words from/to each device, what is your target time from device 1 to device 23 ?

Hi,

Baud rate is 19200, RS485. Tesysu are located locally.
I am reading and writing 4 words per TesysU.
I'd be looking for maybe 2/3 seconds if possible.

As suggested use a modbus gateway to modbus tcp/ip. Or buy the modbus tcp/ip modules for each tesys. The 1st option would be the cheapest. Then you could use normal io scanning to the tesys. A lot cleaner and you dont have to worry about communication errors involved with using read_var blocks

1 write and 1 read means that you need 46 different querys for slaves on one serial port.
You need couple PLC scan for one slave, so on Mast-section you can have maybe cycle time around 3-5s for all slaves (50-100ms for one slave)
You can use Fast section, but you can't speed it more than slowest component on bus.