CompactLogix CF Card Questions

_Dock_

Ive been playing around and testing a few features of the CF cards on the compactlogix platform.

I have one question that I dont have the opportunity to test right now and thought someone may know.

Im familiar with load/store operations and how they work... Or maybe im not if im asking this...

IF someone goes online with the controller and makes an online edit and the CF card is set to "load on power up" will the online edits be lost or overwritten by the CF card if the programmer does not click the "store" to CF card?

What about counters is this data stored every so often so it is retained and not overwritten on a power up?

We manufacture some pretty complex machines and many times 6 months to 1 year down the road a few minor bugs are found and a program update needs to be made.

The underlying goal here is to figure out a way to make these updates without having to travel to multiple sites to do them. Remote access is not readily available to all machines because of customer specific in plant IT security restrictions.

It would be nice if there was an easier way to transfer a .ACD file to a plc like a transfer utility or something like whats in CCW, without having to travel all over the country for a few bug fixes.

Other manufacturers have transfer utility's for their PLC's where you can drop in an updated file!

Maybe the CF card is not the answer and there is a better way?

IF someone goes online with the controller and makes an online edit and the CF card is set to "load on power up" will the online edits be lost or overwritten by the CF card if the programmer does not click the "store" to CF card?

Yes.

What about counters is this data stored every so often so it is retained and not overwritten on a power up?

The data is not stored unless the user commands so.
The entire controller application will be overwritten if 'Load on Power-Up' is chosen.

There is no better way...As of today that is...Software download or CF/SD Load.