1747-Rio Scanner

Prayder

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am converting a SLC 504 setup with a 1747 Rio Scanner that has multiple remote boxes to Controllogix and I was wondering if I am keeping the remote boxes as they are, what would be the equivalent to the rio scanner for controllogix?

I was leaning towards the 1756-DHRIO but found the 1756-RIO. Couldn't I just use that one also? And we are using the 1794-ASB

That's an antique...:D...It is some 25% more expensive than DHRIO...It should work though for controller firmware 'older' than 21...
The Flex RIO adapters are compatible with any 1756 RIO hardware.

Last edited:
While all DH+ and RIO technologies are old and getting harder to build (the chipsets are scarce), the 1756-DHRIO is probably appropriate for this application.

It has two channels and can run both DH+ and RIO protocols, so it's particularly well suited if the SLC-5/04 application also needs to support DH+.

The 1756-DHRIO can scan 16 logical racks of RIO devices per channel, so it exceeds what the 1747-SN could do (4 logical racks).

The old 1757-ABRIO and less-old 1756-RIO are RIO-only scanners that overcame the buffer and capacity limitations of the 1756-DHRIO and were used for migration of large PLC-3 and PLC-5 systems. The 1756-RIO in particular has adapter, scanner, and view-only modes that make it a heavy-duty engineering tool for system migration.

While all DH+ and RIO technologies are old and getting harder to build (the chipsets are scarce), the 1756-DHRIO is probably appropriate for this application.

It has two channels and can run both DH+ and RIO protocols, so it's particularly well suited if the SLC-5/04 application also needs to support DH+.

The 1756-DHRIO can scan 16 logical racks of RIO devices per channel, so it exceeds what the 1747-SN could do (4 logical racks).

The old 1757-ABRIO and less-old 1756-RIO are RIO-only scanners that overcame the buffer and capacity limitations of the 1756-DHRIO and were used for migration of large PLC-3 and PLC-5 systems. The 1756-RIO in particular has adapter, scanner, and view-only modes that make it a heavy-duty engineering tool for system migration.
Ken Roach is there anything that you don't know about PLC's and the like? Goodness man, you are a wealth of information!!!

Thank you.

Thanks !

I did quite a few migrations with those modules over the years. Not huge ones; our largest was maybe 40 racks. But enough to know those modules very well.

When added to RSLogix, 1756-DHRIO lists: "1747-ASB", "1771-ASB", "1794-ASB", and "RIO-ADAPTER" (Generic) as available adapters. Almost anything should work given the availability of the generic adapter.

Unlike PLC-5 (I don't have experience with SLC 1747-SN), 1756-DHRIO doesn't have Autoconfig so all racks and cards need to be manually added, and setting up block transfers for remote analog cards is completely manual (no GUI interface for scaling).

We have 1756-RIO in a couple applications as adapter mode, and while it works, I wouldn't tend towards it for a scanner. If the module has to be replaced, it has to be reconfigured with the 56Rio*.exe tools, which is another step, and I've struggled to get to work right on our newer computers.

1756-DHRIO is also a more popular card (probably primarily for interfacing with DH+), so it will be easier to find replacements in the future compared to 1756-RIO.

Good point about the 1756-DHRIO not having Autoconfig (or the analog module wizards, either). When I first started with it, I would sometimes bring a PLC-5 controller with me to do Autoconfig and figure out the actual RIO network structure !

But the 1747-SN lacked any sophisticated block transfer or auto-configure features, so there's not much lost there. With only 4 logical racks to handle, this shouldn't be too complicated to figure out.

And block transfers with the 1747-SN were an exercise in patience. The ControlLogix MSG-based block transfers will be much easier, even without the block transfer wizards to do the job for you.