New to PLCs. Is this possible...

TM8891

I have no background in PLCs and would like some insight whether or not they are the right choice for me.
I have a machine that breaks stuff (bare with me) and I would like to be notified when the rupture has been made. The machine is fully equipped with sensors that monitor the break and log its time. I would like to know if I can hook up a PLC to send me an e-mail or text when this break is made. Any insight is helpful even if its telling me another approach at this.

Welcome to the Forum!

It is certainly possible with a number of Models and Manufacturers of PLCs to do what you want. However,if that is all you want it to do, I would say it would not be the right choice.

As well as the expense for the PLC Hardware, you would need the Programming Software to make it all work, not to mention the learning curve involved.

Presumably this piece of equipment already has Computers associated with it, and probably has the ability to talk to other Computers, so I would pursue the possibilities there first.

Stu....

If you use the laptop to read the data then maybe you could use nationals intstruments labVIEW, you'll probably get it working in no time. I've used it to send mails and if you have the right hardware you can even let it text you.
If it's for personal use it's probbaly the best option since you won't have to obtain new hardware.

I'm sure you could somehow manage it for free though.

Last edited:
Hi TM8891,
For your specific application, you don't need a PLC. All you need is a GSM unit that sends a text message or email etc when the Input goes High.
You can configure the unit to send one message for each input.
Function complete, Fault, Power missing (need ups) etc.
Bellow is one example, but most automation suppliers have equivalent units.

http://www.seneca.it/prodotti.php?id_p=254&set_language=eng