DLR Ring Failure Help

chenley

So I've been troubleshooting random rapid/restore faults on a DLR ring with around 30 nodes. Checked cabling and connections, even got M12 D-code to RJ45 adapters to check those cables. Repaired a few cables that seemed suspect. Currently on the network there are EN2TR's, ETAPS, AENTR's, IFM AL1123's, and SMC EX260's. Changed out the EN2TR (ring supervisor) in the main PLC rack to a revision 10.007, thinking maybe port 2 was just acting strange. Then was not able to connect the ring without losing the last 6 SMCEX260 modules, which is right past an EN2TR in another rack. The DLR faceplate and ring supervisor show the ring is fine with no issues. This is while an EN2TR in another rack is going in/out of communications. If I leave the ring broken, everything works fine. If I connect the ring and set any of the ETaps as ring supervisor it works fine. Have not had any ring faults in the past 48 hours with the ETap as ring supervisor.

I would believe it is the revision of the EN2TR's causing the issues, but how would I check that? Also, why would the ETaps work fine with the DLR and not the EN2TR's?

The network is the following:
EN2TR in main PLC rack
ETAP - for PC connection
ETAP1F - fiber (negotiation forced to 100mbps)
SMC EX260's (x4)
1734-AENTR
EN2TR
SMC EX260's (x3)
EN2TR
SMC-EX260's (x1)
1783-AENTR
SMC-EX260's (x4)
*EN2TR - This one seems to cycle the connection going on/off
*SMC-EX260's (x2)
IFM AL1123's (x3)
*SMC-EX260's (x2) - last port going back to main rack EN2TR

* These are the devices that lose connection when the EN2TR in the main rack is set as ring supervisor. The SMC-EX260's stay off (think that's just because they are slow to regain connection), the IFM AL1123's don't seem to lose connection or at least I don't get a yellow triangle on them.

So I've been troubleshooting random rapid/restore faults on a DLR ring with around 30 nodes. Checked cabling and connections, even got M12 D-code to RJ45 adapters to check those cables. Repaired a few cables that seemed suspect. Currently on the network there are EN2TR's, ETAPS, AENTR's, IFM AL1123's, and SMC EX260's. Changed out the EN2TR (ring supervisor) in the main PLC rack to a revision 10.007, thinking maybe port 2 was just acting strange. Then was not able to connect the ring without losing the last 6 SMCEX260 modules, which is right past an EN2TR in another rack. The DLR faceplate and ring supervisor show the ring is fine with no issues. This is while an EN2TR in another rack is going in/out of communications. If I leave the ring broken, everything works fine. If I connect the ring and set any of the ETaps as ring supervisor it works fine. Have not had any ring faults in the past 48 hours with the ETap as ring supervisor.

I would believe it is the revision of the EN2TR's causing the issues, but how would I check that? Also, why would the ETaps work fine with the DLR and not the EN2TR's?

The network is the following:
EN2TR in main PLC rack
ETAP - for PC connection
SMC EX260's (x4)
1734-AENTR
EN2TR
SMC EX260's (x3)
EN2TR
SMC-EX260's (x1)
1783-AENTR
SMC-EX260's (x4)
*EN2TR - This one seems to cycle the connection going on/off
*SMC-EX260's (x2)
IFM AL1123's (x3)
*SMC-EX260's (x2) - last port going back to main rack EN2TR

* These are the devices that lose connection when the EN2TR in the main rack is set as ring supervisor. The SMC-EX260's stay off (think that's just because they are slow to regain connection), the IFM AL1123's don't seem to lose connection or at least I don't get a yellow triangle on them.

What do you see for the diagnostic counters in RSLinx? You should be able right click an ethernet card, go to Module Statistics then choose the port diagnostics tab. There are a bunch of counters. Any non-zero values in the Media counters (lower) section of the window are *BAD*

But they give you an idea of where to start.

If you do this for each ethernet card when you problem master is in control, perhaps you will see something, perhaps not. If it's a firmware version issue ... likely not?

Has this ever worked, or are you commissioning this? I had some notes from the last time I set one of these up:

me said:
  • Start with the ring broken at one point.
  • Set all ports in the ring at 100MB Full Duplex (no autobaud)
  • Make sure that you strictly follow port 1 to port 2 connection
  • If a stratix is involved, use ports 7/8, set it's DLR setting to Node
  • Before enabling the supervisor, verify that there are no collisions, mac transmit errors, or any packet issues
  • If there are errors, something likely mis-negotiated
  • Once there are no errors, enable the ring supervisor in the EN2T
  • Reconnect the point where the ring is broken.
  • Hope for the best.

I would advise you get from the Rockwell site the DLR tool, which is free of charge and works with RSLinx Lite. This tool may provide valuable diagnostics data. I would also recommend not using the ETAP as a DLR supervisor, as the version of DLR Object it supports is an obsolete one. As DLR nodes they work fine, in my experience.

This was working before, just getting rapid/restore faults about every 5 minutes. Thought it was a loose/bad connection. Checked all the connections and re-terminated a few. Still received the rapid/restore faults.

Changed out the EN2TR in the main PLC rack (didn't pay attention to which revision it was) and installed a rev. 10.07. That's when the ring would not work connected anymore without completely losing the last 6 SMC EX260's and the last EN2TR in the ring going in/out of communication. When that is happening the DLR says it is "normal" in the network properties on the EN2TR acting a ring supervisor and the DLR faceplate says it is normal.

Changed out the last EN2TR with a rev. 10.07 (original was 10.07). Still can't completely connect the ring. Only time I can connect the ring is if I promote one of the ETaps to ring supervisor using the precedence.

Did have quite a few errors, mainly MAC transmit and receive, although Rockwell's Ethernet/IP troubleshooting guide says that's normal? Cleared out all the numbers this morning and will see what it shows when I get back to work tonight.

Did have quite a few errors, mainly MAC transmit and receive, although Rockwell's Ethernet/IP troubleshooting guide says that's normal? Cleared out all the numbers this morning and will see what it shows when I get back to work tonight.

It has probably been a year since I've set one up, I don't believe that mac transmit errors are normal. My instinct here is that anything other than 0 will eventually lead to an issue. I'm thinking that a baud rate setting changed in something on the ring which is causing the crashes. I've only set a handful up, from my limited experience and possibly hazy memory, the baud rates had to be set at a fixed 100MB Full Duplex.

Leave ETAPs with autonegotiation, forcing speed on one side of the link will cause media errors. If you are forcing then Ford both sides of the link. There is no reason to do that.

Leave ETAPs with autonegotiation, forcing speed on one side of the link will cause media errors. If you are forcing then Ford both sides of the link. There is no reason to do that.

Just have the fiber ports forced at 100Mpbs between each other, thinking if they auto negotiated it would go 1Gbps. The RJ45 port are auto negotiated between the connected devices.

Checked the network this morning and all seems to still be well running off the ETap as ring supervisor. Checked all ports and there are no errors.

Only thing I noticed is that three of the EN2TR's are major revision 10 and one EN2TR is major revision 11. The one that seems to have the issue at the end of the network closest to port 2 of the main chassis is 10.007.

Going to try and recreate the issue on a test bench again. Next shutdown is MLK day, only thing I know to try so far is set everything forced to 100Mpbs see if that works.

Just have the fiber ports forced at 100Mpbs between each other, thinking if they auto negotiated it would go 1Gbps. The RJ45 port are auto negotiated between the connected devices.
ETAP does not support 1Gb on any port and there is no Autonegotiation on Fiber. So forcing anything on fiber make no sense.
Basically on Fiber it always 100Mb/full

hi,
I tried to find sample code in Rockwell library. but not found

can you share link for same where i can download "DLR_AOI" or "AB_DLR." faceplate

thanks. Network Library v1.4 downloaded. but while importing routine in logix designer giving below error.

Error: Line 317: Error creating 'AddOnInstructionDefinition[@Name="raC_Tec_DecToHex"]' (Unsuppored encoding format.).
RSLogix5000Content/Controller/AddOnInstructionDefinitions/AddOnInstructionDefinition[@Name="raC_Tec_DecToHex"]

I have Studio 5000 Logix designer ver. 24 & factorytalk view SE ver 9

please suggest help to resolve this error

Can you suggest any other faceplate suitable to v.24 for DLR display

i am not able to locate DLR faceplate ver 3.03 for Panelview Plus which is available in the Sample Code library and suitable for v24.

please share the link if anyone can