Best 3d surface inspection camera/scanner for defect inspection

Hello,

I have been shopping around for a while, seems like alot of them will only inspect a small area. What I want to do is inspect a loading hopper surface of a machine for stray product between different model runs for purpose of quality to prevent mixing. The area to be inspected is about 4'x4' and camera would need to be mounted about 4' away. I do not need to inspect any distance measurements, I just want to detect loose product compared to a stored image. Some of the product can be very small and hard to see also due to varying surface colors with 2D cameras, so I am thinking 3D surface scan is the way to go.

So the interface doesn't need to be anything fancy, one digital input and one output is all I would need.

Machine is controlled by AB ControlLogix if that matters at all.

Any of you that have had good success with a similar application I would really appreciate your feedback.

Thanks

I've worked with Keyence,ifm and Cognex. All will interface with AB. Getting something to see a relatively large area from such a short distance will be tricky. Have you tried contacting camera manufacturers? Most are all to happy to come in and engineer the application for you if they smell a sale.

Have tried so far with IFM we could not get the smallest product we run to detect, but I don't think we tested the senor that AustralIan suggested. I do like IFM I like the I/O link Ethernet setup and toughness.

at 4 ft away, you are going to need a very high resolution camera.
and even then, your resolution may not bee what you need. may i suggest that you contact cognex (personal favorite) and see what they have to offer. they helped me several times. note. cognex is a brand i like, no connection to them or their employees.
James