Networking question

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Good day all. If I would like a PLC on one LAN to communicate with another PLC on another LAN, is that possible without using a router? For example: PLC1 is on 192.168.1.x and PLC is on 192.168.0.x. They are both CompactLogix. Thank you

Good day all. If I would like a PLC on one LAN to communicate with another PLC on another LAN, is that possible without using a router? For example: PLC1 is on 192.168.1.x and PLC is on 192.168.0.x. They are both CompactLogix. Thank you

Possible: yes.
Without a router: depends on your sub net mask

Will I need to change servo amps and robot also or only the 2 PLC's?
It depends on if these need to talk to a PLC on another subnet or not.
Basically think of pairs of devices: should they talk to each other without a router? If yes then they both need to be on the same subnet.

It depends on if these need to talk to a PLC on another subnet or not.
Basically think of pairs of devices: should they talk to each other without a router? If yes then they both need to be on the same subnet.
For example, the robot talks to only one plc, all the servo drives and vfd's only talk to one plc. I just need the two plc's to talk to each other.

.. I just need the two plc's to talk to each other.

Then expand mask on both PLCs. Don't expand it more than you need.
All I said above is under assumption that that both PLCs are on the same VLAN. If they are on the separate VLANs then you must have routing enabled.