PanelView 800 - Recipes

Scotty13

Hello guys,

I'm a new guy with Panel View 800 and I have few questions from beginning. I have an application 2x PV800 4" and 1x CompactLogix L24ER.This application require recipe management and I've found that PV800 has weird-different representation of recipe management. I can't figure out how to add additional recipe to the recipe list. Usually I can add new blank recipe without any extra steps, but it's not "add recipe" buttons. I'm looking an answer for next questions:

- how to add new blank recipe my template that I made ( picture in attachment)

- how to get currently loaded recipe name? I have assigned status tag, but it always shows me a number. I didn't find any sort of system tags with selected recipe.

- I have installed CCW software v.12. It allows me to create a project with PV800 FW 5.011, but I got a panel with default FW 5.013. How can I add new firmware version into my CCW software?

I found AB video about PV800 and recipe (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewgBh4ldXXU) but it useless without an example file.

Thank you in advance!

Regards,
Scotty

PV800_Recipe.PNG

My quick opinion.
Ditch the recipes in the PV800 and use your Compact Logix to do the work!
A little more coding, but a much nicer project at the end of the day. Really not even that much coding. A few lines and a two dimensional array or a UDT created to match your recipe structure is all you need.

Just my two cents worth, I really do not care for the PV800 though.

My quick opinion.
A little more coding, but a much nicer project at the end of the day. Really not even that much coding. A few lines and a two dimensional array or a UDT created to match your recipe structure is all you need.

In second thought....
I don't want to deter you from figuring out your issues. Learning is everything and using the project or not, figuring it out is important. Abandoning it is not the answer, to your questions. I simply wanted to say that there are other ways to accomplish the goal. Different moment, different mindset. I'm in high gear usually and do what I know repeatedly. Sometimes learning something new is beneficial as well. Apologies for trying to de-rail your train.

In second thought....
I don't want to deter you from figuring out your issues. Learning is everything and using the project or not, figuring it out is important. Abandoning it is not the answer, to your questions. I simply wanted to say that there are other ways to accomplish the goal. Different moment, different mindset. I'm in high gear usually and do what I know repeatedly. Sometimes learning something new is beneficial as well. Apologies for trying to de-rail your train.

Depends on application, but most of the type I do my custom recipe manager to be more user-friendly and native. It's not a question on what way to select. I want to understand why Rockwell decided to do it a bit different way and understand how it works. It will help to work around and find right way for future use of PV800. In my current situation I thought to save some time and use existing recipe manager, 'cuz it fits nicely into the application. But it's my first project with PV800 and as I see at the moment, PV800 has different point of view on recipe manager and other common tools that should be present in the HMI toolset.

My quick opinion.

As someone whom attempted to do recipes on the PV800 using the canned "AB" method, aka what you're trying to do, I agree with this. Do the recipe management within your PLC and be done with it.

Depends on application, but most of the type I do my custom recipe manager to be more user-friendly and native. It's not a question on what way to select. I want to understand why Rockwell decided to do it a bit different way and understand how it works. It will help to work around and find right way for future use of PV800. In my current situation I thought to save some time and use existing recipe manager, 'cuz it fits nicely into the application. But it's my first project with PV800 and as I see at the moment, PV800 has different point of view on recipe manager and other common tools that should be present in the HMI toolset.

I just wanted to quickly add a response to this..
I did one project with the canned version as I thought it would be a nice fit as well. Boy, what a cumbersome POS. The operators did figure it out and still use it. But its one mistake I will not repeat. The whole PV800 recipe structure on that machine is like a skid mark on an otherwise impressive piece of equipment. Its one that bugs me all the time and I say to myself that I want to go back and re-do it one of these days.

I liked the recipe structure in the older Beijers E series so simple to use, you configure a screen for saving that contains all the PLC variables that are the recipe (if too many you just make them invisible and pile them on top of each other), create edit & current screens (makes it easy to create new recipes while running another), it saved them as csv files, it was also possible to transfer recipes within the PLC code for example read recipes from an SQL server, write the code to save the recipe onto the HMI, we used this as a backup in-case the SQL server fell over. however, it seems they have now moved onto a new recipe structure that to me does not seem much better than AB. this is what they call progress.