SVID file for SIEMENS S7 1200

RockyNivas

Dear All,

I want to connect a S7 1200 to MES through OPC server. To be honest I am very new to this and I don't have enough knowledge on that. In my project they are asking some "SVID Files". Kindly help me and advice what is mean by this and how can I get this file or create this file.

Thanks in Advance.

Hello: There are different vendors who provide Windows drivers which have OPC server or OPC UA server functionality with Simatic S7 client functionality. Since the S7-1200 is a Simatic S7 server, it is possible to access tags in the S7-1200 program with an OPC client (or OPC UA client).
The product I am most familiar with is Softing dataFEED. You can download the evaluation version and do thorough testing before purchasing the product.
https://data-intelligence.softing.com/products/opc-software-platform/datafeed-opc-suite/

With regards to "SVID Files", it does not sound like an OPC technology term. A quick google search came up with terminology of a different technology. Hope this helps.

I've never heard of an SVID file before.

As the other poster said, the simplest plan might be to use the PLC's integrated OPC UA server (if it's at the latest FW & V16).

Yes, I have just realized, S7-1200 has now native OPCUA server functionality. If the amount of data required is not too high, and if you have the right firmware version and TIA version, you can actually connect an OPCUA client directly. However, make sure it is an OPC UA client. It will not do for an old OPC (Classic) client.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXV37QcEjSM

Hello: There are different vendors who provide Windows drivers which have OPC server or OPC UA server functionality with Simatic S7 client functionality. Since the S7-1200 is a Simatic S7 server, it is possible to access tags in the S7-1200 program with an OPC client (or OPC UA client).
The product I am most familiar with is Softing dataFEED. You can download the evaluation version and do thorough testing before purchasing the product.
https://data-intelligence.softing.com/products/opc-software-platform/datafeed-opc-suite/

With regards to "SVID Files", it does not sound like an OPC technology term. A quick google search came up with terminology of a different technology. Hope this helps.
Got it. Thank you.

Yes, I have just realized, S7-1200 has now native OPCUA server functionality. If the amount of data required is not too high, and if you have the right firmware version and TIA version, you can actually connect an OPCUA client directly. However, make sure it is an OPC UA client. It will not do for an old OPC (Classic) client.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXV37QcEjSM
I am using TIA V15.1 . Can't I go with the softing dataFEED ? Please advice.

Thanks in Advance.

The Softing dataFEED should do what you need, which is to allow an OPC UA or OPC Classic client to get data from the S7-1200 program. Please confirm whether the OPC client is OPCUA or OPC Classic (DA, data acquisition) client. If you do not need OPCUA the license is cheaper, and you can always add additional licenses in the future. Nonetheless, since is is so easy and inexpensive to test, I recommend you download the evaluation version and confirm that it works for you. I can help you with the setup.

Okay. Since I'm using CPU 1215 DC/DC/RLY, version 4.2 I couldn't find the OPC UA option in the device settings. Can you please guide how to find or create the OPC address.

And if I connect the PLC to any OPC server, how can I prepare the OPC address. Please help advice. I apologize if it's a basic question. Since I am new to OPC thingy I'M struggling to find those.

Thanks in Advance.

Okay. Since I'm using CPU 1215 DC/DC/RLY, version 4.2 I couldn't find the OPC UA option in the device settings. Can you please guide how to find or create the OPC address.

And if I connect the PLC to any OPC server, how can I prepare the OPC address. Please help advice. I apologize if it's a basic question. Since I am new to OPC thingy I'M struggling to find those.

Thanks in Advance.

So you do not have OPCUA server in S7-1200. Then you need to use a third-party OPC server.

If you are using the Softing dataFEED, then you have to configure the dataFEED itself. After installing dataFEED you create a new configuration and in the data "sources" you add a Siemens S7-1200 device. Simply add some name for your PLC then add the IP address of the PLC. The helpfile is very detailed and I recommend you follow through it. the dataFEED must be connected to the PLC so that it can read the tags in the PLC so that it can configure the address space of dataFEED which will include the PLC tags in S7-1200 that the dataFEED configurator detected. Once you save the dataFEED configuration you start the dataFEED application. In the configuration (data destination on the dataFEED configurator) you will get the URI of dataFEED OPCUA server or OPC server. You have to give this URI to the OPC UA or OPC Client. When the client establsihes connection with the dataFEED server, you will be able to see from the client the tags for the S7-1200 with its value and communication status.
Please let me know when you download dataFEED. I will be checking this post later.