Tags in QuickDesigner translated to RSLOGIX

PaulHilgeman

I to add a button to a Quickpanel JR in QuickDesigner, and unfortunately my RSLogix program has little to no documentation, but already has the RSLogix program done correctly. I just need to know how to relate the tags in QuickDesigner to what I am seeing in RSLogix.

In RSLogix, I am seeing a XIC labeled I1:434. How do I create a tag in QuickDesigner to close this input?

Fortunately I do have some 'knowns'. For example, I have a Tag in QuickDesigner O:030/14 that I know hits an input on the RIO scanner in RSLogix I1:396, which after some logic can turn an output on and off.

Any idea how I get from one value to the other, so that I can work backwards from I1:434 to see what tag I should give my new button?

Thanks!!

start from the beginning:

for example let say that you have a DH+ network, your SLC have a node number 1, and your quick panel a node number 2.

for example you have an input I1:4/34, and you link this tag to a pushbutton in the quick panel. The tag in the quick panel should have the following syntax: I1:4/34_1, the last underscore and 1 refer to the node number where the quick panel will look.

Did I miss something?

You need to explain your scenario a little better, like what device comms are you using for example.

Are you using your QPj with RIO? It sounds like it.

If you are, then there is a little work involved in order for you to CORRECTLY find the bit that you want to use...

RIO Qps need to establish rack/group etc. (With the BTW/BTR)This is already done, BUT you need to determine what bit that you need to toggle.

Let us know some more information about your
A) PLC
B) COM type

Alright... THanks for the quick responses.

The PLC is a SLC 5/03. At slot 1 I have the RIO scanner, it is a 1747-SN.

I think that this is the info you need. If not, let me know what else.

Thanks!

I think I am using RIO, is there a way that I can tell from the RSLogix program? I do not have access to the hardware, only to the touchscreen which I will re-program here. I do have the RSLogix program to look at though.

If I got to I/O Configuration, I see Racks 1: 1746-A10 10 Slot Rack. There are no other racks.

Below I see a list of all of my cards:
0 - 1747-L532C/D 5/03 CPU - 16K Mem. OS302
1 - 1747-SN RIO Scanner
Below are listed all of the I/O cards

Thanks for all of the help so far guys, I am not sure how I would figure out this 12+ year old system otherwise.

-Paul

Remote I/O Tag Variable Table

Device Address Bit Bit Data Data Data Read Description
Prefix Range delimiter Range Range Range Width / Write & Notes
Min. Max.
Words
I: 0-377 / 0-17 -32768 32767 16 Both Inputs
O: 0-377 / 0-17 -32768 32767 16 Read Outputs

Doubles
AI: 0-376 n/a n/a 0 99999999 32 Both Double Inputs BCD
AO: 0-376 n/a n/a 0 99999999 32 Read Double Outputs BCD
LI: 0-376 n/a n/a -99999999 99999999 32 Both Long Inputs
LO: 0-376 n/a n/a -99999999 99999999 32 Read Long Outputs
ABR@ 0.0-3771.63 n/a n/a 0 99999999 32 Both Double BTR-1
ABW@ 0.0-3771.63 n/a n/a 0 99999999 32 Read Double BTW-1
LBR@ 0.0-3771.63 n/a n/a -99999999 99999999 32 Both Long BTR-1
LBW@ 0.0-3771.63 n/a n/a -99999999 99999999 32 Read Long BTW-1

The device prefix and address delimiter are shown together. Example, AO: where AO is the prefix and : is the delimiter. Note the delimiter for the BTR and BTW types is the
@.
The address syntax is rrgs.oo (rr = rack (octal), g = group, s = slot, oo = offset (decimal))
Double block transfer variables require proper setup of the actual block transfer in the protocol setup.

In your case, the I/O is what you are looking for, is the I1:434.
This is not the correct method of syntax for the SLC. What is the actual tag address? Can you open up RSlogix and go to that particular tag and copy the data file so that we can all see what you are trying to explain?

In your example, I am going to assume that this is the tag...

I:1/434 (Slot/Bit)would equate to I:1.27/2 in the Correct form of Slot/Word/Bit, which should help you get started on addressing to the Quickpanel with the above information.

Post if you still need help...

Yes, I think you are absolutely correct, I can open up my Data File I1 and hover over Bit 2 for Word I1.27 and see the tag I1:434.

That is all fine and good, however see the example in my first post, as that does not seem to make any sense, and this is on a touchscreen that was taken from a working system and mailed to me for updating, so I know that that particular function works.

-Paul

There really isnt anything in there... I can hit "Next Rack" until I get to rack 3, and then some of the groups have been switched to "Emulate" and I can click the BTR and BTW fields and there is no info for the "Tag Name".

Thank you for your patience.

-Paul

have you attempted to just "add" the tag that you have listed above?
It might be as easy as that. Just get-online and monitor the input on the PLC..
Essentially, you just want to write to that address. You can command the button to be a toggle, or a push on, push off type.
Another thing to do is to post your quickpanel file and I will do it for you.