SCADA with S7 PLC by means siemens S7 PC/MPI cable

Andoni

Hi everybody!

I want to make a SCADA system with LabView 7.0 DSC(or other program that you could suggest me)and Siemens S7 PLC CPU313C-2DP by means the serial port COM1 using the siemens S7 PC/MPI cable.

Is this possible? if so, How could i do it?
If not, how could i communicate it some how using this cable?

thanks.

Andoni.

I think you can do it with an OPC MPI Server from SIEMENS, KEPWARE or MATRIKON.
You can use WinCC flexible which is the new HMI software but you can use it on a PC Based solution or WinCC SCADA software from SIEMENS.
If it is a small application look at the SIEMENS C7 which is an HMI and PLC in one product.

u can use the mpi communication processor on the PC , the price will not differ that much

Amr

I do not recommend to use the serial PC adapter for a SCADA connection (I wont recommend the serial PC adapter at all !).
A much faster connection can be achieved with a CP5611 card. The CP5611 card is only 50% more expensive than the serial adapter.

If you are counting on connecting via the DP port for a fast datatransfer, then it is even more important to NOT use the serial PC adapter.

If you insist on the serial PC adapter, then it will not work with Simatic NET software for an OPC connection.
However, 3rd party OPC servers do work with the serial PC adapter.

The CP5611 card will ONLY work with Simatic NET software OR Deltalogic software.

Fellas,
One of the fastest communications is with Profibus and a Helmholz netlink lite cable. It converts Profibus/MPI to ethernet at 100 m/bit. Using the Helmholz OPC server we have thousands of I/O tags coming in over this one cable. Here is a link. 700-880-MPI01 the OPC server is on this website also 800-880-OPC10