Class for prison inmates

James Mcquade

Everyone,

if this is a subject not to be discussed, feel free to delete.

I have been asked by a local facility to develop a course for the
inmates at that facility, if successful, it may go to other locations. Electricity, plc, and computer repair.

I can do the book learning part of it, testing and class room discussion, showing them prewired systems, but how would you deal with the hands on training part? book learning to me is a different world to actual hands on.
I am familiar with the UK prison rules when I worked at another company, but was never in the prison.
thanks in advance,
james

Are computers allowed in the facility at all?

Some states allow them, others don't. Michigan is in the "Don't" category - no inmate can have any access to any computer, even if stand alone and not able to get online.

I do agree with the hands-on part. I have always had problems with trying to learn something out of a book until I actually experience it.

I think it's a great idea
are they going to purchase the software
one option would be use an emulation package
if they have internet available
set up the hardware in your shop and and setup a VPN between the them
you could even setup a video link so they could see the results and testing
it would be a good idea to have different software packages for them to learn on
their are so many options for that
you could set up team viewer and us you computer and software the only thing they would need on their end is a computer

I was marginally involved in a similar program that was tried at a prison in Washington State, maybe around 40 years ago. Boeing was looking for a source for more technicians with PLC experience and not enough people were signing up in the JC courses they supported, so they were going to try to tap into the state prison system. I was working for Square D at the time and we donated some SyMax PLCs and software. The stumbling block that came up however was in their eventually needing to have access to tools to connect things in the labs. Access to tools in a prison means access to weapons, so it stopped dead in its tracks.

That said, RFI tagging was only in its infancy back then, being able to more reliably implement something like that now might make it more possible.

Last edited:
Guaranteed accurate, unless the Michigan DOC has drastically changed their policy in the last 2 years, but every policy change in recent history has been a downgrade.

Wanna have some legal fun?

Ship a pallet of something to a prison in Michigan, probably other states too, and band it with steel banding.

The shipment will be stopped at the gate and the shipper arrested on felony charges.

Your idea of fun is a little twisted :p when I think 'fun' I think 4 wheeling, fishing, parting with the wife... felonies are way down on the list :)