Setting DO's by entering numeric on HMI

Lamboom

Lifetime Supporting Member
I've done this successfully using Siemens S7 1200 PLC & HMI .. it was way too complicated and expensive.

Simply: Enter a numeric number (base 10) on a HMI screen (Red Lion G304K200) and have 8 digital DO's express that number on a remote I/O device like ADAM 4050 .. or Perhaps a CLICK PLC's I/O module.

The question is... in the case of Red Lion HMI connected directly to the ADAM I/O module (say Ethernet or RS485)... obviously, the Red Lion would do the conversion and set the ADAM modules DIO's

But, could the CLICK PLC receive the numeric number and do the conversion, setting it's own DIO's?

Last edited:
RESOLVED ... The answer is Yes.. the G3 series HMI has the drivers for ADAM and CLICK devices.. the G# series is in many ways able to perform many functions usually expected by a PLC... A PLC is not needed for this project. The ADAM 4050 remote D/IO module's registers bits can be mapped to the Red Lion flags representing a binary conversion from an inputted decimal number on the screen... this will call stored curves in the LinMot 1100-GP drive,(as many as 100) ... which can be run completely by D/IO...

probably safety implications

Typically there are safety devices and equipment status interlocking of outputs

..only open the valve if the emergency stop is reset and the level is less than hihi alarm

our scheme doesnt allow for any of that

Of course you could hard wire all that stuff (E Stop is hard wired by regulations)

And it seems like a hodge podge
Can you put an arduino in there too? :)

There’s a saying “ just because you can doesn’t mean you should”

Last edited:
And it seems like a hodge podge
Can you put an arduino in there too? :)

There’s a saying “ just because you can doesn’t mean you should”
Hi again... perhaps it is, yet not really. Here's why. there are many built in safety systems in the LinMot drive. There are many ways to limit the commands entered into the HMI... While it is true that any number between 0 and 255 might try to be entered .. there is a list of only "acceptable numbers"... which will later be changed to specifically labeled buttons (toggles) on the screen. There are only about 20 curves stored in the LinMot drive .. some quite complex. The HMI is only going to allow the operator to select one of those choices. And, any of them, at any time, will be fine... :)

This is only a display .. not a manufacturing process.