EDS File Problem

Martindag

Hey guys,

Today while installing all my rockwell software on my new VMware WinXP, on almost every installation they were asking me to: " Log On to Register EDS file "

I also wanted to update a EDS file for my Rslinx to see correctly my 1756-L55 PLC but it still asking me the same.

I tried login on my EDS hardware tool in Rslinx and still doesnt work.

I got the main Administrator account of this VMware WinXP, when i enter the right username and password it doesnt say bad username or bad password, i get a " does not have sifficient privileges "

All i can remember everytimes i do a new installation i always having problem figuring out these EDS File things !

I asked my IT department already and didnt help.

I uploaded a printscreen of my error.

Any advice would be the welcome.

Thanks !

edsfile_error.jpg

I have no experience with EDS files nor rslinx software, so insert "ymmv" and any other disclaimers you can think of and then some.

Try .\Administrator for username, rather than just Administrator, see if that makes a difference.

It look like that my Administrator and password are fine because i dont get the " Username or Password is not valid "

It's really like something else, i even tried to run my VMware on admin mode but doesnt make any change.

Are you using a domain account that is also a local admin? Or is it just a local admin account that isn't on the domain

What version of RSLinx Classic are you trying to install ?

RSLinx Classic 2.59 should be the newest version you install on a Windows XP box.

Version 3.x will need access to C:\Users\Public\Documents\Rockwell\EDS which might not exist on your machine; look for it, and create it if it doesn't exist, and give your administrative user access to it.

This is almost certainly a problem with the access level given to your "Administrator" user on the virtual machine. Verify that it's really in the Administrator group and really has Administrator privileges.

Local admin, i saw a old post from a moderator here had the exact same problem and solved it by using windows 7 instead, seem like winxp on vmware is the problem

You can guess and speculate all you want, but until you actually evaluate the privileges of the "Administrator" account, you're spinning your wheels.

I've installed RSLinx and RSNetworx on many dozens of Windows XP virtual machines under VMWare Workstation and never encountered an authentication problem that wasn't related to the configuration of the user account.