Ethernet switches. Small question.

JesperMP

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi,
on ethernet switches there is typically one port that stands out from the others. Sometimes it is labelled "uplink".
I can imagine that it is supposed to connect to a level higher up in the network hieracy.
If there are many RJ45 ports and one fiber port, then the explanation is obvious.
But if all ports are RJ45 10/100, what is technically significant with the uplink port ?

Uplink is very common on older swithes, usually next to the port 1 - it is just a port with reverse In and OUT pins, like crossover cable and used to connect to another swithch for expansion.

Most of newer switches have automatic crossover detection and don't really need this anymore.

One other thing about switches with an 'Uplink' port... The Uplink is almost always shared with the port next to it, so you can't use both. Some switches/hubs do have a dedicated uplink port, but not all of them.