Has anyone used SAIA S-BUS OPC driver??

Preeya

I have a SAIA PCD-2 PLC that was configured by someone in Europe. There are various digital, analog inputs and digital outputs. My requirement is to get some PLC input values(analog, temperature data) to the PC using the SAIA S-BUS OPC server.

I have a lot of questions... What kind of cable to use between PC to PLC, how to configure the OPC server, how to bring those values to excel..etc

Anyone who has done this before. please let me know.. I desperatly need some help here..
Thanks!

PGU cable:
Here is a new link. Go to the support page:
http://www.sbc-support.ch/pcd2/mxxx/m1x0/pcd2m120.htm

Download the HW-manual for the PCD1/PCD2 : http://www.sbc-support.ch/manuals/26-737_E.pdf

You find the PGU-cable diagram (.K111) at ch. 4.4.1

This is the cheapest solution without any add-on cards. There is always a PGU-interface. (I believe this is an older PCD2 without USB-interface?) PGU mode is fixed at 9600 baud.

OPC server:
You have the OPC server from SAIA or Merz? Here is a screenshot:

OPCexample.JPG

Register number ??? is given the name "Flow". The OPC item name in this example is: "TestPCD2.Register.Flow"

Register is internal 32 bits elements with fixed address from 0-4095. Somewhere here you will find your analog data... If the application program read the input.
You can not address analog inputs/outputs from the server.There is no I/O image. But digital input and output can be read.

How you interface this in Excel, I don't know since I haven't used excel for it. But every software that can be an OPC client, should be able to connect to the OPC server.

But use the test-client in the server to verify the communication between the PLC and the OPC server before you try to use another OPC client.

Thanks so much... Your reply is really helpful. I will make the programming cable (same pinout as PCD8.K111) on Monday or buy one.. It looks like a null modem cable. I have already downloaded the OPC server.

I am not sure how to get the analog input values. Is there certain register values for specific inputs?

The PGU interface is almost standard RS232, but note Pin1 is ground and pin9 is +5V... Make the cable as the diagram shows. Don't use a null modem cable. DTR (PC) to DSR (PLC) is important for the PLC to recognize the cable.
Regarding the analog inputs: There is no I/O words or special words for I/O.... There is no mapping to PLC memory. The PLC program decides when and what to read, and where to put the result... You have only 4096 register to check IF the program reads the input..

If you don't have the programming software for the SAIA PLC, you can download the latest here: http://www.sbc-support.ch/pcd8/pxxx/pcd8p5.htm
90 days free demo. You only need "PG5 most important parts".(42,7 MB) Use the PCD8.K111 kabel to connect.

You can upload the program with it and try to find the analog reading... There are no comments in the up-/downloaded program...

Thanks Kalle.. You have been such a big help!

You are right.. I cannot use a null modem.. I only saw the pinout connection and did not see each pin details. I have a silly question.. what should I do to connect Pin 1 to ground and Pin 9 to +5V? Should I short it to something?

Also, I may be wrong but a SAIA PLC can be programmed with Siemens Step 7 ? If thats the case, can I still view the program with PG5?

Hi Preeya

No,no. Don't connect pin1 or pin9. Make your cable according to the K111 diagram and let the other pin be unused.
I only mentioned those pins to show that the interface isn't 100% according to 9 pin RS232. (In fact, the +5V is supply for the handhold programming unit)

A SAIA PLC can be programmed with Siemens Step7 software IF it use the Siemens compatible firmware (operating system). The older PCD2 had a slightly different hardware for the Siemens compatible clone because of the MPI interface etc. The newer models of SAIA have MPI, so now it's only the firmware (operating system) that differ if it is a SAIA compatible or Siemens compatible PLC.

But one difference is there still: To program the SAIA compatible, you have to use a SAIA software package like the PG5. And to program the Siemens compatible, you must use software from Siemens.

Same hardware yes, but different operating system and programming software.

Hope this clarify.

Thanks Kalle!

The reason I asked about Step 7 compatability is because I plan to make the cable and upload the program from PCD2.M170 to my PC using the PG5 software. But if the programming has been done thru step 7, I wouldn't get much success I guess.. Am I right?

Also, as I do not have information about the registers used for analog inputs, I plan to get this information from the program. I hope its not very difficult..

I will keep you posted with my progress.. Will def. contact you if there is no progress! :)

If it is a PCD2.M170, it's a classic SAIA, not a Siemens clone. The corresponding Siemens clone is named PCD2.M177 and have Siemens S7 color's on the cover.

So you must use the PG5 software.

Well, if you are not familiar with SAIA, it's not easy to decode the analog reading in a upload file....

Be aware of the different between upload and download, so you don't ruin the program.
There are 3 different areas you should take backup of, if the PLC isn't password protected: The program, the hardware settings, and the PLC data. It has to be done separate.

I just connected to the CPU. The communication was successful. I did upload the program, hardware settings and data. But the upload file .upl cannot open. Should I do something to view the program?

Thanks!

Hi Preeya!

I see you have achieved much already!

You probably know this by now, but to make sure we agree.

I would start with open a new project: File/New Project... (with Create CPU)
When you make a project, all files are stored in this directory by default.

Upload hardware setting: CPU/ Hardware Settings/Upload..
(or project tree: Hardware/Upload..)

Upload data: Tools/Data Transfer
In the new window: Online/Quick Data Upload
All types are checked by default.
NB1: PCD2.M170 have end adress 4095 for the type Registers, not 16383.
NB2: Datablocks are user defined. It uploads only DB's found.
Save the uploaded data to a file.

Now you have a complete backup of your system.

The *.UPL file has to be disassembled before it is readable: Tools/Disassembler..
Check:
Output Destination: Disassemble to files,
Output Format: Source (.dsr)
File Generation: Block types in separate modules

Import the files to the project. In the project tree: right click on Program Files ->Add Files.
Files of type: Disassembled Files
Mark all .dsr files and import them into the project.

And now the fun starts....
Even if the program was well documentet with a lot of comments, symbols, graphic boxes, FUPLA, ladder etc, it's now statement list without any comments.

To find where the analog reading take place, search for the base address where the modul is placed. 0,16,32,48 etc. All reading on the card use the base address, but with different channel number (0-3 or 0-7) when it activates the AD.

The kode for analog reading should include something like this: (card depended)
BITI 10 / BITI 12 / BITIR 12
"Baseaddress"
R nnnn

R nnnn is where the raw value is putted, if there isn't used a X: BITIX / BITIRX. Then it is indexed...

Thank you so much for all your help Kalle! I found the registers and am able to get the values through the server...
It would not have been possible without your help..

Now, I have to bring the data to excel or Aspic SCADA..
Thanks again!

That's what plctalk.net is about (y)

You did some good detective work yourself to identify the correct register(s). Even if you found the raw-value, you still had to follow some math to find the scaled value, I guess.

Thanks so much... Your reply is really helpful. I will make the programming cable (same pinout as PCD8.K111) on Monday or buy one.. It looks like a null modem cable. I have already downloaded the OPC server.

I am not sure how to get the analog input values. Is there certain register values for specific inputs?

Hi. Somebody test the connection with an USB to serial converter instead of PCD8.K111? It´s possible to do this connection? Thanks