RSLOGIX 500 EVMOVEW lost all Activations.

James Mcquade said:
In my opinion...

James,

You could be right there but aside from that...

Post #2 -

OkiePC said:
My advice is to contact Rockwell with your serial numbers and get them converted to Factory Talk activations.

In my opinion, this is where the thread's advice level peaked, at the beginning. As the newer version of RSLogix 500 now requires FactoryTalk Activation, there should be no need to get bogged down here in all this EVRSI stuff. If you contact Rockwell with just the product serial number (& not also the Master Disk) and explain your case, then they should happily convert the license from EVRSI to a Node Locked FactoryTalk Activation license.

CaspianSage said:
...I hate dongles...

I've always found hating inanimate objects to be such a waste of one's emotional time. But then again, if I said that "I love Dongles", then that would make me somewhat of a hypocrite, or would it?

Regards,
George

So I just wanted to update everyone on my findings.

First off like others have mentioned if I'm saying something wrong please let me know. This is in no way hacking or doing anything wrong, but let's face it, in order to get legacy Rockwell software to work sometimes we have to think outside the box. With that said, and this is the truth, all software and keys I have, have been purchased by my company through Rockwell. So I am only using what's truly mine. Now that, that is out of the way...

So I have a Windows 10 VM that I got from MS. It's an Enterprise VM which is only good for 90 days but allows me to try software on Windows 10 with dying a million deaths on a physical box. So with Logix 500 or 5 at ver 7.x and below you can use the master disk. Having moved my purchased keys from a floppy to hd then to USB, I have made them portable. This isn't ground breaking news. What is ground breaking news to me is that and I can't believe I've never tried this before, I found out that just by having the USB key plugged in Logix 500 WILL see the keys and run just fine! So for Windows 10 just having a USB key with the master disk on it will allow legacy software to run!

So just to repeat that with reboots to verify, Logix 500 will work just fine with the USB plugged in. Now to go further since I hate anything sticking out of my machine, adding a second hard drive to the VM and moving the keys there does the same thing!!! Windows 10 with a small secondary hard drive with the keys installed on it works! And this is great news since our IT department will force us to use Windows 10 in the near future and our current version of Logix 5 is 5.20. That's not my choosing, that is what the company has provided me.

On a small side note I did do an evmovecf from my USB drive to the C drive on windows 10 and that DID work. I did a run as admin and it added the files just fine, did a few reboots to verify, and even moved them back without loosing anything. Granted this is an enterprise VM. However my company would use enterprise on a physical box so I believe this to be an apples to apples comparison.

It may take a week or so but if anyone is interested and no one is upset by this post, I'll try it on my Windows 10 Pro box and report back. I will also be trying this very soon on a Windows 10 Ent physical box just to verify there's no difference between VM and physical. Good learning experience though as this is the hand Rockwell has handed us.

Know the game to know the hand...

EngDave said:
...I found out that just by having the USB key plugged in Logix 500 WILL see the keys and run just fine! So for Windows 10 just having a USB key with the master disk on it will allow legacy software to run!...

I'm glad you figured your way through this and not to burst your "look at me!" bubble...

31319 - Move Master Disk Activations with EVRSI and a Flash Drive
Access Level: Everyone

What you have figured out is perfectly legit and has been an available method of moving EVRSI Activations for years. But good on you for figuring it out all the same. Rockwell Activations can be irksome, to put it mildly.

EngDave said:
...Good learning experience though as this is the hand Rockwell has handed us.

I'd say they have dealt you a pretty good hand there, wouldn't you?

Regards,
George

Not all of us have time to sort through AB's knowledge base. If I have an issue I check Google first which 99% of the time takes me here where others like me have taken the time to figure out a working solution. So I apologize for the "look at me." I did this for myself and my team and figured I'd share these findings with everyone. I will keep future findings to myself. Thank you for the warm welcome.

Well that went South!...

EngDave said:
Not all of us have time to sort through AB's knowledge base. If I have an issue I check Google first which 99% of the time takes me here where others like me have taken the time to figure out a working solution. So I apologize for the "look at me." I did this for myself and my team and figured I'd share these findings with everyone. I will keep future findings to myself. Thank you for the warm welcome.

Hi EngDave,

You've misunderstood my intentions here but remember, I spent my time earlier to advise you and again here to update you and not to be smart. I've been around here for quite a bit now. I am one of those people you are referring to that spends the time searching, learning and sharing what I know with people like yourself and many others who end up here from Google searches and wherever else. Chances are you've Googled one of my many posts in the past. Give it a go? Give me a go and you'll see a very different side to me than you now think.

You are most welcome to the Forum and forgive me for not doing so earlier. I make a huge effort normally to spot a newcomer and welcome them, often when many other posters before me have not. You somehow slipped through my thorough grip here.

Forgive my way of putting things. It was not intended as a smart a$$ reply to put you down. I was impressed that you figured it out and complimented you as such. I wanted to reassure you, by providing useful and official Knowledgbase information, that what you had figured out and implemented was perfectly acceptable by Rockwell and, as a result, you can rest easy you are doing nothing wrong here.

By pointing this out, to assist you, it may also have lead to you feeling a little disapointed as you seemed so excited at having figured this out yourself. That's all I meant by "...and not to burst your "look at me!" bubble...". It was my way of conveying your apparent joy at your findings (lots of exclamations !) and how I didn't want to detract from your good work.

In other words, my update was a double-edged sword - potentially putting you at ease of no wrong doing, and also perhaps deflating your sense of achievement, which was the last thing I wanted to do, but I was sensitive to it.

The card game reference was intended to point out to you that because you didn't know the option you had discovered already existed, you were perhaps prematurely putting Rockwell down (having handed you a bad hand?) without realizing that they actually had a long standing solution to your problem, which you not knowing would not really be their fault.

Hopefully that conveys my intentions a bit clearer?

Again, I'm glad you figured your way through this, and well done you!
(I hope your bubble is now inflated again - joke!)

Regards,
George

At one of my old jobs, there were a lot of Master disk activations stored on floppy disks. We had some external USB floppy disk drives that worked pretty good so in theory we could use the floppies just fine. The main problem was, older floppies are "fragile" and can become unreadable easily. We ended up using this method to move activations to USB thumb drives as a precaution in case the original floppies failed.

A_G said:
...We ended up using this method to move activations to USB thumb drives as a precaution in case the original floppies failed.

That would be prudent advice for anyone still in a similar situation. We have several Master Disks still here from years ago but we would not rely on them. All converted now where possible.

I still have old floppies here with backup files for old Automata PLCs from the 80's. We replaced them all with SLCs some years ago but the files are still accessible on the disks. There are also redundant backup programs on EEPROMs here. I wouldn't like to be relying on them at this stage, although they can be solid for years.

Just another tidbit to add info here for the future. Rockwell also provide a repair service for Master Disk corruption (or user ****ups)...

36168 - Reset Master Disk Activation
Access Level: Everyone

It can be used to restore the files on the original Master Disk.

G.

So just to repeat that with reboots to verify, Logix 500 will work just fine with the USB plugged in.

On a small side note I did do an evmovecf from my USB drive to the C drive on windows 10 and that DID work. I did a run as admin and it added the files just fine, did a few reboots to verify, and even moved them back without loosing anything.

RSLogix will see the activation file on a Windows 10 hard drive - if it is put there.

What I have done is remove the Win10 hard drive and connect it as an external drive to a XP or Win7 computer and EVMove the activation to the Win10 drive.

Then reinstall the drive & boot up WIn10. RSLogix will boot and see the license.

Aabeck said:
...What I have done is remove the Win10 hard drive and connect it as an external drive to a XP or Win7 computer and EVMove the activation to the Win10 drive.

Then reinstall the drive & boot up WIn10. RSLogix will boot and see the license.

That's all good and should work no problem as you've described. That would be done using the original EVMOVEW application. But you shouldn't really need to be removing hard disk drives to do this, which can expose users to other potential issues. We are usually very careful doing the likes of this but you just never know.

EVMOVE options...

The original method involved using EVMOVEW to transfer the Activation from the Master Disk in the floppy disk drive to the local hard disk drive. Then, once it was required to move the Activation to the hard disk drive on another machine, you would use EVMOVEW to first transfer the Activation back to the Master Disk and then again to transfer it to the hard disk drive on the other machine.

This was all fine for years as a 3.5 floppy disk drive was a de facto standard on workstation machines. As the floppy disk drive slowly began to disappear, users often now had no way to transfer Master Disk Activations to a hard disk drive on a machine without a floppy disk drive.

As a result of this, and the fact that other removable media such as CompactFlash were now readily available on modern machines; Rockwell released a newer version of the application, namely EVMOVECF. This version then supported the transfer of existing Activations on hard disk drives to CompactFlash cards so as to transfer to the hard disk drive on another machine that also had the now common CF drive. You use EVMOVECF to first transfer from the hard disk drive to the CF card and then you use EVMOVEW on the other machine to transfer from the CF card to the new hard disk drive, similar to how you would have from the Master Disk floppy.

Later, as USB removable media overlapped, and eventually took over from the likes of CF, the EVMOVECF application could still be used to achieve the same transfer using a USB flash drive instead of the CF drive.

Using EVMOVECF and a USB flash drive is the simplest way to transfer these older EVRSI Activations around on the latest machines, Windows 10 included. There really should be no need to remove hard disk drives to carry this transfer out.

Whether some of the older versions of Rockwell software that support EVRSI will work sufficiently under newer operating systems is another potential hurdle and is being discussed here on the Forum quite a bit in recent times.

Regards,
George

A bit Off Topic from the original Post but...
That is an old post I just saw, I am sure that I am not the only one that appreciated your OP, Sometimes I suppose we can all sound snarky when our words are read on the screen. Please stick around, Sometimes posts directed at me sound that way but I think for the most part, everyone that participates here wants to help even though some that are here and on other forums seem to be a bit too puffed up, We can still get help from them also. We could all stand a serving of humble pie.

Everyone needs to think carefully before responding to someone as to how it sounds to other people and at the same time we need to not be over sensitive snowflakes.

I like this forum a lot, even when asking something I should know or forgot or may seem like an ignorant dumb question, I get help from someone really fast. So please continue here with your bright Light that was not shinning on you, but on the issue you shared.

Thank you!

I think you may be mistaken here. Any attempt to move a key using any version of Emove on a win 10 machine no matter how you do it has always resulted in loosing the key when I have tried. If you have been successful I would like to know how you did it, The process you described below did not work for me. So I would appreciate it if you have some additional info to enlighten me.

I have successfully moved a key with win7 using EMOVECF without running it as admin. And Ghost 11 on XP works well to make back up copies. Still have not tried it on WIN 7.

That's all good and should work no problem as you've described. That would be done using the original EVMOVEW application. But you shouldn't really need to be removing hard disk drives to do this, which can expose users to other potential issues. We are usually very careful doing the likes of this but you just never know.

EVMOVE options...

The original method involved using EVMOVEW to transfer the Activation from the Master Disk in the floppy disk drive to the local hard disk drive. Then, once it was required to move the Activation to the hard disk drive on another machine, you would use EVMOVEW to first transfer the Activation back to the Master Disk and then again to transfer it to the hard disk drive on the other machine.

This was all fine for years as a 3.5 floppy disk drive was a de facto standard on workstation machines. As the floppy disk drive slowly began to disappear, users often now had no way to transfer Master Disk Activations to a hard disk drive on a machine without a floppy disk drive.

As a result of this, and the fact that other removable media such as CompactFlash were now readily available on modern machines; Rockwell released a newer version of the application, namely EVMOVECF. This version then supported the transfer of existing Activations on hard disk drives to CompactFlash cards so as to transfer to the hard disk drive on another machine that also had the now common CF drive. You use EVMOVECF to first transfer from the hard disk drive to the CF card and then you use EVMOVEW on the other machine to transfer from the CF card to the new hard disk drive, similar to how you would have from the Master Disk floppy.

Later, as USB removable media overlapped, and eventually took over from the likes of CF, the EVMOVECF application could still be used to achieve the same transfer using a USB flash drive instead of the CF drive.

Using EVMOVECF and a USB flash drive is the simplest way to transfer these older EVRSI Activations around on the latest machines, Windows 10 included. There really should be no need to remove hard disk drives to carry this transfer out.

Whether some of the older versions of Rockwell software that support EVRSI will work sufficiently under newer operating systems is another potential hurdle and is being discussed here on the Forum quite a bit in recent times.

Regards,
George

Was running the old style floppy EMOVE for years on windows 7.
With Win & going out of support I was given a Win 10 machine.

Floppy EMOVE was a no-go

Finally had to change to Factory Talk activation
Was somewhat painless.
Had to call Rockwell to organize our licenses.

One thing:
the OLD PV PanelBuilder32 software will work on Win 10 for development BUT downloading an application to the panel does not work
I confirmed this with Rockwell

I installed VMware Workstation for the PanelBuilder32 software and rsLinx.. this setup is working for me.

Geospark said:
...Using EVMOVECF and a USB flash drive is the simplest way to transfer these older EVRSI Activations around on the latest machines, Windows 10 included...

CaspianSage said:
I think you may be mistaken here. Any attempt to move a key using any version of Emove on a win 10 machine no matter how you do it has always resulted in loosing the key when I have tried. If you have been successful I would like to know how you did it, The process you described below did not work for me. So I would appreciate it if you have some additional info to enlighten me...

CaspianSage,

I can say here with certainty that I am not mistaken, simply because I was successful in doing what I outlined, and what the technote I linked outlines. That is, I used EVMOVECF, and a USB thumb drive formatted for FAT32, and selected "Run as administrator", on one specific workstation machine, which was/is running host Windows 10 Enterprise Edition.

I don't think I can add any more to that to qualify or prove my statement as being true? You will just have to take my word on it.

Whether something is different for my system to any or all that you have tried on, I cannot say? All I can say is that I have noticed, in this thread, that someone else successfully doing this was also using Windows 10 Enterprise Edition, specifically. So maybe that is something to consider here?...

EngDave said:
...On a small side note I did do an evmovecf from my USB drive to the C drive on windows 10 and that DID work. I did a run as admin and it added the files just fine, did a few reboots to verify, and even moved them back without loosing anything. Granted this is an enterprise VM...

...I'll try it on my Windows 10 Pro box and report back...

While also being successful on Windows 10 Enterprise Edition, they never did report back if they had managed to replicate their success using Windows 10 Professional Edition? Something that could have further told us a tale here regarding which Editions might work or not? But I am sure there will be others who have also tried on Windows 10 Enterprise Edition and will report that it did not work?

If so, then I'm not sure if I have any "additional info", beyond that, to add for you?

A closing comment...

CaspianSage said:
...I like this forum a lot, even when asking something I should know or forgot or may seem like an ignorant dumb question, I get help from someone really fast....

And so you should. In my book, there is no such thing as a "dumb" question. An "ignorant" one, perhaps. But that just means one is ignorant to certain facts, and are not necessarily "dumb", generally speaking. Asking those apparently "silly", basic questions can take courage, especially publicly. But these basic facts can form the building blocks or foundations for our "tower of knowledge". So, just keep on asking away. If in a position to do so, I will certainly be one of those who will be more than happy to answer you, and others.

Regards,
George