Recommend Me A PLC And HMI With Remote Phone Access

husky

Hi All,

I'm looking for a PLC and HMI for a small brewery to monitor fermenter temperatures and adjust setpoints. The part I'm struggling with is how can I get the system online so I can remotely monitor and adjust temperature setpoints? The PLC only need be basic as I have 8xAI 8XDO 1xDI and the program will be very basic opening and closing chilled water valves as required. I currently have a couple of AB Micro 800's that I would like to stick with if possible.

I currently have AB panelview 800 HMI's but was thinking of maybe trying a C-more EA9 series.

I have no idea how to get a system online and assume I will need some sort of software on a phone or tablet to be able to remotely monitor? Can I please get some advise on how I might achieve this?

Cheers,

The Micro800 series will be just fine, add a Maple System Hmi "What ever size you think" turn on the built in VNC Server. This will allow remote access for you to monitor/control just as if you was standing in front of the unit.

I don't want to confuse the matter, BUT, if your looking for a means to "re-program plc, Hmi, do firmware updates, then you will need some type of VPN Tunnel.

If there is any chance of the system being exposed to anything other than a closed local network for the control system, then a VPN is a must, otherwise data/hardware can be compromised.

The Micro800 series will be just fine, add a Maple System Hmi "What ever size you think" turn on the built in VNC Server. This will allow remote access for you to monitor/control just as if you was standing in front of the unit.

I don't want to confuse the matter, BUT, if your looking for a means to "re-program plc, Hmi, do firmware updates, then you will need some type of VPN Tunnel.

I don't want to do any remote programming, just need visibility and ability to enter a new temperature setpoint. I'll take a look at the Maple HMI
Cheers,

If there is any chance of the system being exposed to anything other than a closed local network for the control system, then a VPN is a must, otherwise data/hardware can be compromised.

The PLC will be dedicated to temperature control and I suspect the PLC will need an Ethernet connection to a modem of sorts, would this setup require a VPN? I'm not up to speed on the security side of things. If the PLC got hacked no major damage could be done.

Your Panelview 800 does have a built-in VNC Server already (if you're using the latest firmware) so why not keep the existing HMI. You just need a VNC app of choice and a VPN setup.

Your Panelview 800 does have a built-in VNC Server already (if you're using the latest firmware) so why not keep the existing HMI. You just need a VNC app of choice and a VPN setup.

Thanks for that, I didn't realise they had the capability. Looks like I can do a firmware update then I have VNC! Is a VPN optional or required? How does it work? I want to get it working from an Iphone 8.
Cheers,

Thanks for that, I didn't realise they had the capability. Looks like I can do a firmware update then I have VNC! Is a VPN optional or required? How does it work? I want to get it working from an Iphone 8.
Cheers,

If you want the thing accessible from the internet, then you need a router, and a VPN capable router can help with security. Your PLC and HMI are normally set with private IP addresses that are not internet routable, so a router with the right port forwarding is required as a minimum.

I am no IT guru or security genius, so I just buy a VPN appliance and they do the hard work for me...I could probably find something cheaper but my time costs more than the hours I would have to spend learning IT speak to understand how to set it up.

My last one was using the Stride Sitelink and I am pretty happy with how it turned out.

Note that this WILL give you the ability to access the PLC and HMI network so you could do remote monitoring and programming of either.

https://www.automationdirect.com/ad...re_Remote_Access_-_VPN/StrideLinx_VPN_Routers

wago came by my office the other day and their plc's have built in webserver/hmi. It looked pretty neat and cost wasnt bad. they may be worth a look.

Install in the plant an OPC UA server configured so that it can only be connected with encryption using trusted certificates

Install this application on an Android phone, and you will be able to see and change plant parameters from the phone with full security and without a VPN.

Last edited:
Cheers,

Without the VPN, I could connect to your system and view it with VNC almost as easily as you could. A simple password (if that's even an option) is not considered sufficient protection.

Some kind of encryption (preferably certificate based) is pretty much mandatory. VPN is often the easiest way to do that, but the other poster's encrypted OPC UA app might be OK as well. The app might be better than VNC if all you want is to change parameters; it avoids all the messiness of trying to fit the panel display on your smaller phone screen.

I'm willing to bet your Rockwell rep will have security products to get you the whole solution, if you want to single source things. I know Siemens can.

All you really need is a cheap $100 laptop with wireless internet connection. Leave it plugged into your PLC/HMI and download Team-viewer onto it, then download their mobile app and remote into the laptop and change values through your phone. You can change values through Automation direct's cmore panels software as well (this software should be free), in case you don't have the PLC software installed on your laptop. You just need the tags from the PLC to be imported into your HMI software.