DPI Port 5 alarm

reiderico

Hello, Once every couple days or so we get a DPI Port 5 alarm on our Drives. This will happen to one drive at a time. We have changed out both drives and ribbon cables. Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions. Our EOL's are all good. We control everything through our CN2DN. We have just the 2 drives on that bus with everything else being E3's. We do not get any device errors with our E3's.

Cheers

75 or 85 ?

My recollection is that the 75 error means that the failure happened on the fieldbus side of the 20-COMM-D, so the problem is on the DeviceNet itself.

If it's an 85 error, then the failure happened on the DPI side of the 20-COMM-D, so you need to look at the ribbon cable or vibration or the 20-COMM-D module itself.

How long have these modules been in service ? What types of drives ?

Thanks for the reply. They are PowerFlex 70's. Both brand new including the 20-Comm-D mods and ribbons. Not to sure about which error shows up as I haven't been there when it goes down. We have't changed out the CN2DN, but can't see that being the problem.

Hello, Once every couple days or so we get a DPI Port 5 alarm on our Drives. This will happen to one drive at a time. We have changed out both drives and ribbon cables. Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions. Our EOL's are all good. We control everything through our CN2DN. We have just the 2 drives on that bus with everything else being E3's. We do not get any device errors with our E3's.

Cheers

I believe that DPI port 5 is the keypad on the drive, if memory serves.

We had an issue with Powerflex 70's and Powerflex 700's in a high vibration environment, where the keypad would stay clipped into the drive plastic cover, but the cover would vibrate itself free of the 5 (I think it is 5) pins that connect the cover to the main system board. So it looked to the drive like the keypad was being removed and then re-inserted. Note that the drive did not look any different, but internally the pins worked themselves out of solid connection to the main board connector.

We had the STOP button on the keypad enabled, so the affected drive would shut down. At the time, we reported the problem to tech support.

To confirm the problem, tech support had us clamp the cover onto the drive (I think the clamp was around the devicenet LEDs visible on the front of the drive, below the keypad) and see if the problem went away. We were only able to physically install a jury-rigged clamp on one of the drives, but it worked. I don't have pictures - they would have been instructive but embarrasing.

Tech support then shipped us replacement covers for the drives (we had 4 with this problem, 2 powerflex 70 and 2 powerflex 700) that had pins that were 0.25 inches longer than the original covers. We didn't have any further problems.

The fieldbus module is definitely DPI port 5. The HIM module in the on-frame cradle is DPI Port 1.

DPI fault 75 is a classic symptom of a poorly-wired network. I've troubleshot many hundreds of them.

That's a great story about the vibration damage to the cradles !

The fieldbus module is definitely DPI port 5. The HIM module in the on-frame cradle is DPI Port 1.

DPI fault 75 is a classic symptom of a poorly-wired network. I've troubleshot many hundreds of them.

That's a great story about the vibration damage to the cradles !

Sorry for getting the details wrong! I guess it was DPI port 1

I *REALLY* should take the time to look things up before I post here.

Note that I *STILL* haven't looked it up! :D

We are going to end up changing over the Modules from a 20-COMM-D Mod to a 20-COMM-E Mod. Eventually everything will end up being on Ethernet anyways.

Check the fault code history. Were they Error 75, or Error 85 ?

If the problem is noise or vibration on the main control board, changing the modules will fix it only by coincidence.