Upgrade from 1756-L61 to 1756-L61S

zacslade

Hi all,

I have a facility run by a 1756-L61, and I want to upgrade it to an L61S with L61SP B, using the same IO modules. This is my first time performing this type of upgrade, so I'm concerned that I might run into an issue related to implementation differences between regular and GuardLogix controllers.

Pending some more research, my plan is to just update the code so that the PLC in Logix is L61S instead of L61, download it onto the controller using a test rack in my office, and then swap the controllers during the next downtime event.

Things I'm aware of that I need to look out for include:

- Setting an SNN when the L61S is plugged into the backplane where it will finally reside.
- Setting a safety task signature
- Ensuring that the GuardLogix is the CST master

Does anyone here have any experiences related to this type of upgrade that could help me catch bugs I might encounter?

Also, I've been looking around and I haven't found information about firmware revisions supported by the L61S, but RSLogix seems to only want to let me go up to 20. Do you guys know what the latest firmware revision is that I can put on that controller?

Thanks in advance!
Zac

I doubt you'll have much of a problem.
The SSN might take care of itself.
And you don't have to create a signature.

Definitely set the CST master and make sure you set the time - doesn't have to be the right time, but it needs a time. I got tripped on that recently - never recall needed to do that prior.

If you are upgrading to version 20 from a previous version, you may need to flash up some other modules in the system.

I got a few questions to ask. It might be that you know all of this but you don't mention some things in your post so it got me wondering.

You don't mention the 1756-LSP, or add safety I/O, or modify the program into safety task and main task.

Are you familiar with these aspects as well?

+1 Timbert. You'll need a 1756-LSP (safety partner), and that will have to go in the slot immediately to the right of your processor. If there's already a module there, it will have to be relocated. If that's just an I/O module, then it should just be a matter of re-mapping all your I/O from that card in the program. Plus updating drawings, etc etc. If it's an ethernet module, you may have to look out for other PLC's which might be communicating with your PLC via MSG instruction or produced/consumed tags, as they will all have to be updated. If it's a devicenet/controlnet card or something else, this might all of a sudden get much more complicated.

That aside, it should be about as straightforward as you suggest. Of course you'll need to make sure that you have a version of Logix 5000 that supports safety processors (Professional edition, or the safety add-on package). As kekrahulik said, you don't *need* to generate a safety signature - the PLC will run just fine without one. But the minute you put any safety code in, you must test it extensively, document it, validate it, and then lock it with a password and record the safety signature. Not for any functional reason, just to cover your own backside.

I'm guessing that your aim is just to upgrade the processor and get the system running as it currently is, but with the new processor, and then once that's all good, add safety I/O in later. That being the case I won't go into any of those aspects; presumably you're either all over that or will post a new thread on that topic when the time comes!

The only other thing I'd throw out there is, consider using a 1756-L71S and 1756-L7SP instead of the 1756-L61S. The process will be exactly the same, but it's the most current model of safety processor (L81S safety processor is due out soon, but not yet). As well as being able to use newer versions of firmware, you'll also have the enormous bonus of having comments stored on the PLC itself, which is only available on the L71 and upward. Of course, make sure you have the right software version to support it - the L71 only accepts v21 and upward firmware.
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/member.php?u=55789

One thing I will add that might save you some time in the future is when you generate your safety signature and lock your safety program to be able to do the download in the future you will need to unlock your safety first otherwise it will fail while trying to download.

It might be helpful especially if you doing the work over the weekend shutdown and you only have mon-fri tech support contract :)