Newbie PLEASE HELP - Programming encoder

Is it possible to program an absolute single turn rotary encoder as a multiturn?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Micrologix1100 PLC with rslogix software.

Does anyone know how to use a single turn absolute rotary encoder as if it were a multiturn encoder, i.e. by manipulating plc program?

The single turn encoder is a small cheap 16 ppr, 4bit encoder (due to budget). I am trying to get the program to count the pulses and continue as if it were multi-turn.

I have considered using masked move instruction to extend the bits into a word but I am stuck.

OR is this actually possible?

Any help/guidence would be appreciated.

I would just write some code:
Take your four bits individually to an internal address. When the counter goes from 15 back to 0 increment another internal address.
Now you have the lower significant digit in one address and the most significant digit in another.
You can then combine them if you want the complete number.

Regards,