Encode the data in 2D barcode and scan with the scanner to add in the each stations

Simon194

Is it possible to Encode the data in 2D barcode and scan with the scanner to add in the stations? I need to write the logic in the RSlogix 5000.

I need an HMI button that could access, to initiate this logic. When the button was pressed, it would scan in the barcode, and parse out the
1) Prepare the scanner to scan in the large format barcode
2) When scanned, would parse out all the necessary data for either user access levels
3) Would re-populate the necessary fields.
4) When complete, would restore the normal scanning function.

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

Your question is very general and difficult to understand, so you will have to provide more information.

What kinds of HMI device are you using ? Have you selected a barcode reader yet ?

Whatever you can explain about what you mean by "add in the stations" or "populate the necessary fields" would be helpful.

I am using AB RSLogix 5000, CompactLogix 5380 processor, cognex scanner and HMI AB Panel View plus. Once I scan 2D barcode of different data it should appear in the HMI. I have to save the data in my logic.

Cognex has an add on profile for the Dataman scanners. This will allow you to interface with the scanner. You will also need to turn on Ethernet/IP protocol in the scanner.
Cognex also provides sample code to get you started.

If you have questions about logic you have written, post an example or a specific question.

"I'm not sure if my logic will work" is just a statement of uncertainty. Nobody can do anything useful with it.

...Once I scan 2D barcode of different data it should appear in the HMI. I have to save the data in my logic.

If you will describe your application in more detail, one important question is whether the data collection and display is "station-centric" or "part-centric," by which I mean, for example: Will your HMI show a list of barcodes that have been scanned at each station, or will it display a list of barcoded items, with data that was accumulated as they passed through each station? Your PLC logic and data structures will be somewhat different depending on how it needs to be displayed and possibly accessed by other external applications.

Parse with plc, leave the scanner alone

Configure the scanner to read the barcode to the plc.

Use ASCII MID (Middle) instructions to parse out the pertinent data specific to each station