Use an Encoder with 120VA Micrologix 1200.

gzPLC

I want to use 24vdc encoder with an existing micrologix 1200 PLC,

The plc inputs are 120vac, I need 120vac for my other inputs.
So is there any way I can have 24vdc high-speed inputs for the encoder and rest all 120vac inputs?

How should i make this work?

Thanks

Hi Gary, I went across the expansion Input module, but I don't think that they can be used as high-speed inputs for the encoder.

Any Idea on that?

Depending on the application the encoder is for, I use an anilog laser for position feedback
1762-IF4 Module

is there any way I can have 24vdc high-speed inputs for the encoder and rest all 120vac inputs?

Not with this model of MicroLogix 1200 controller. The models with 120v AC Inputs cannot use any of the high-speed counter functions because the physical input circuitry cannot accept 24V fast signals.

What is the encoder's purpose and function ?

I m using the encoder to control the motor.

Read the encoder and tell the motor when to stop.

Can I use micrologix 1200 itself as has 24vdc high-speed input?
I m thinking of using 1762-L24BWA which is 120vac which supports 24vdc inputs(look for the attachment).

and use "1762-IA8 8-point 120V ac Input" (Look for attachment) for my 120VAC inputs.

Does that look ok?

Thanks

micrologix1200.PNG micro.PNG

Yes, if you choose a MicroLogix controller with DC I/O, then the high speed counter features are built in to the first few inputs.

The MicroLogix 1200 has only one HSC, I think, so it uses Inputs 0,1,2,3.

Then you can power the controller with 120V AC, and use an expansion module for your 120V normal inputs.

If you are going to replace the processor anyway, I would HIGHLY suggest buying either a Micrologix1100 or Micrologix1400 instead. There is little to no extra work in converting your program, and you will gain ethernet connectivity and online edits.

Helliana, what you say makes sense I will use micrologix 1100.

You said I need to make changes in the program...
Am i supposed to change anything apart from I/O configuration?

Thanks

Helliana, what you say makes sense I will use micrologix 1100.

You said I need to make changes in the program...
Am i supposed to change anything apart from I/O configuration?

Thanks

Do a save as first and give it a new name. Then double click controller properties and change the processor selection to the ML1100.

The software will prompt you to resize data tables and clear I/O. I usually untick the resize data tables option but I often have a lot of spare data tables marked and commented that I want to keep.

If you are switching from a ML1200 with more onboard I/O than the ML1100, you may want to search and replace those that fall outside the limits of the new hardware.