OT Phone's in use while driving

geniusintraining

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
So a new survey came out and 1/3 of the people admitted to shopping on their phone while driving... so that means its really over half of the people, I see so many dumb asses driving with their phone in their hand. This is one of my biggest pet peeves, half of them dont know how to drive anyway.

I have no idea why its not a law that you can not use your phone in anyway other than hands free and making a phone call while driving.

I'm surprised it isn't law over there. They are quite strict over here about it, big fine a penalty points on your license. Been like that for a few years.

Here in Atlanta they started the hands free law back in July. They initially enforced it strongly, now it’s tapered down and you see more and more people back to holding phones.

Funny story:

Lady cut me off while talking on her phone. At the next traffic light I ended up stopped next to her. Being the very polite person that I am........ I tooted my horn to get her attention and when she looked over I smiled and made the "hang up the phone" gesture.

She immediately tried to give me the finger but only managed to drop her phone down between the seat and center console. LOL

Same here. Its law to NOT use a handheld device as well as its law to NOT be distracted in any way when driving.
However, there goes little Miss with two kids in the backseat looking at her lap on the highway at 100KM/HR+,,,, there is the business suit looking at his phone, the truck driver with the phone right up on the top of the steering wheel.

Just down the road from my house this summer a woman and a 5 year old boy died, head on... The other drive said 100%% he could see her on looking at her phone just as she was crossing the center line. that must have been an important text. Stupid B****!

Its absolutely disturbing to think my child is on that road right now waiting for his school bus and some fool who can't drive to start with is probably driving to fast for the snowy conditions while updating his facebook ********.

Facebook is one of the most useless creations ever invented. Its creating a world of self centered narcissists and its addicting people to the point that they cant live without it, or simply drive from point A to B without checking it.

You see it in town at the stop lights,in the drive through and on the highway. As far as I am concerned your better off drunk, at least then your looking at the road.

The only way to stop it, is for the insurance company demand that some type of signal jammer is installed in every vehicle.
Car in gear=phone OFF!

People are just too stupid to manage this on their own!

Over here we have 3 "clips" on our driving licenses (not physically, but the police will keep record for you !). If you get 3 clips, you loose your license and must go to driving school and a test. Driving while talking on a non-hands-free phone costs a clip.

I don't know how many times I've been on the 75 headed downtown and everyone doing about 80 and in the fast lane (#1 lane) here's someone doing 60 and everyone going around them on the right. So I pull along side and guess what? Head down, texting. I don't understand that. I personally don't have the skills to do that and survive.

+1 for PLC Pie guy. Some type of system to jam phones or even better send everything to voice mail, no ringing, not even hands free. No dialing out except 9-1-1.

Here in Houston I see a lot of wrecks and collisions. Not only will drivers be on the phone, they are driving in the middle of two lanes weaving. I see a lot of people texting, using their legs to keep the steering wheel steady. Also the passing lane seems to be the texting lane now.

If you honk at anyone to get their attention then they suddenly start raging and attempt to run you off the road. Noticing a lot more drivers do not care. Don't even bother looking in their blind spots before changing lanes and watch as many roll right through red lights and stop signs. I have even seen this in school zones and pedestrian crossings, with the crossing guard holding the stop sign up.

Not only do I see this on the road, but when I walk in my work place. Employees are so inattentive texting on their phones that I have to yell at them to look up before they walk right into me.

What the hell is wrong with people and how did they get so brainwashed. I can't even stand phones and will let most my calls go to voicemail.

Last edited:
Same here. Its law to NOT use a handheld device as well as its law to NOT be distracted in any way when driving.
However, there goes little Miss with two kids in the backseat looking at her lap on the highway at 100KM/HR+,,,, there is the business suit looking at his phone, the truck driver with the phone right up on the top of the steering wheel.

Just down the road from my house this summer a woman and a 5 year old boy died, head on... The other drive said 100%% he could see her on looking at her phone just as she was crossing the center line. that must have been an important text. Stupid B****!

Its absolutely disturbing to think my child is on that road right now waiting for his school bus and some fool who can't drive to start with is probably driving to fast for the snowy conditions while updating his facebook ********.

Facebook is one of the most useless creations ever invented. Its creating a world of self centered narcissists and its addicting people to the point that they cant live without it, or simply drive from point A to B without checking it.

You see it in town at the stop lights,in the drive through and on the highway. As far as I am concerned your better off drunk, at least then your looking at the road.

The only way to stop it, is for the insurance company demand that some type of signal jammer is installed in every vehicle.
Car in gear=phone OFF!

People are just too stupid to manage this on their own!

Here in CB it seems like every second person I drive by is checking their phone. I feel like when I lived in Halifax that I saw less, maybe something to do with higher speeds, or it could just be confirmation bias. Lots of stop signs and traffic lights up here now, so maybe people feel safer texting and driving here since they're usually driving less than 50km/h.

My phone stays in my back pocket as long as I'm in the car.

I have to yell at them to look up before they walk right into me.

LOL... im a big guy so I would let them and put a shoulder into them ;)

I can't even stand phones and will let most my calls go to voicemail.

I have mine on do not disturb 24hrs a day with one exception, it will ring when my wife calls all others can leave a message and I will call them back when im not driving, walking, eating or just living.

You also get the pedestrians crossing the road whilst engrossed in reading or writing to their phone.

Just last week I was driving into a supermarket carpark and this lassie was head down engrossed in the phone and crossed the access road. Peep on the horn, she just looked at me and carried on. Meantime the traffic behind me was held up. Pedestrians not a care in the world..........

As for drivers and phones - it is all very well having legislation, but enforcing it is a different matter. Even hands-free can be dangerous.

A number of years ago, when I was in a different job, on-call and hands-free systems were relatively new, I used to get phone calls from the production supervisors, which I would answer hands-free, but then they would launch immediately into technical details of the problem, which is very distracting, so I had to tell them I would call them back once I found a decent place to stop away from the motorway.

I have mine on do not disturb 24hrs a day with one exception, it will ring when my wife calls all others can leave a message and I will call them back when im not driving, walking, eating or just living.

I'm going to go with this also, it's getting so anybody from work or my end users call anytime they want.

I grew up without cell phones and survived I think I can do it again!

Here in the states each state writes their own laws on cell phone us in a vehicle.
Here in PA. the have had the law on it for a few years now. But it would seam that each officer determines hot to enforce that law and when.
A few years back I caught one of the local officers driving down the street in his official marked car talking on his hand held phone.
They have a lot of leave way on if, when and how they enforce it.

So a new survey came out and 1/3 of the people admitted to shopping on their phone while driving...

Shopping? Is traffic that bad in the States?

I'm surprised it isn't law over there. They are quite strict over here about it, big fine a penalty points on your license. Been like that for a few years.

You can actually lose your license too if you're caught right after getting your license... the first person caught apparently was one of these. Lost his license when adjusting Google Maps on his phone.