PLC simulator wanted

There used to be MicroLogix 1100 software and Emulator on the Rockwell site for free. I personally like that better than software with a Simulator built in. It teaches how to connect, download, upload, and other things that are not necessarily available with other packages. Maybe someone has the free software or a link to download it.

Take it from someone who is currently in the process of teaching himself how to program. Having an actual physical trainer to reference when testing a program goes a long ways. Lights, switches, etc that you can physically interact with makes a world of difference in the whole process. I built a trainer around a MicroLogix 1200. I spent around $500 when I first built it and now I have all kinds of stuff to enhance the experience. 24vdc power supply, a couple prox switches, a pneumatic cylinder, an AB contactor, several ice cube relays. While the latter isnt absolutely necessary I believe some simple single pole switches and a few pilot lights to actually make what your putting into a computer reality will VASTLY improve the experience. Also, building it improved my working knowledge of what goes into it. Learning the difference between PNP and NPN etc. Its really turned into a typle of electrical controls troubleshooting trainer. I actually built it while I was working on the road in Columbia, SC. You shouldve seen the looks from the people checking in to the hotel when I carried it out to my work truck the last day I was on site.

I started with Rockwell's RS500 micro starter edition which was $141. I dont know how they would feel about allowing you to use that as an education tool however...

Last edited:
Rockwell Automation has RS Logix 5000 emulator. I do believe it requires a license. They may work with teaching institutions. It couldn't hurt to ask?
Emulator has it's limitations, Softlogix might have been ideal, but there is no more development on that. Simply, I think its worth reaching out to Rockwell about providing actual hardware for classroom training.

Velocio is a good beginner option for programming. Software is free, and hardware is cheap.

Automation Direct has the Do-More software which is free, and comes with a software simulator and examples including a PID loop example.

I'm with Ronnie on this one. You want physical hardware because there are just as many electrical concepts as programming concepts. Your students should know how to wire a sinking sensor vs a sourcing sensor, the difference between normally open, and normally closed, analog inputs and outputs and the differeces between a 4-20 mA device vs a 0-10V device. Etc.

If you are going to teach plc programming - you really need hardware too.
A PLC, software and things to connect to inputs and outputs.

Students need to grasp the reality of programming - and a simulator alone will not do it.

I agree also, however I would like to add!

I know a ton of computer programmers experienced in C, C++, Python, VB, Etc. but only a handful of then could actually complete a working ladder logix program.

I work for a company that specializes in Industrial Control Automation and this is exactly why we are in business (Because the factories that employ high tech computer programmers seem to never be able to get it to work) so they in up calling us.

And on the other hand I don't program computers!

I just think it's worth the mention that programming a PLC is one thing, but making a complete assembly line work together as a single unit is another whole different ballgame.

I agree also, however I would like to add!

I know a ton of computer programmers experienced in C, C++, Python, VB, Etc. but only a handful of then could actually complete a working ladder logix program.

I work for a company that specializes in Industrial Control Automation and this is exactly why we are in business (Because the factories that employ high tech computer programmers seem to never be able to get it to work) so they in up calling us.

And on the other hand I don't program computers!

I just think it's worth the mention that programming a PLC is one thing, but making a complete assembly line work together as a single unit is another whole different ballgame.
I agree too, for simplicity, my mother knows I work with computers, but actually when someone wants to learn about PLC's we assume they know about computers.

I strongly recommend using CODESYS. You can run a simulator on it and create visualizations that can be ran in web browsers.

As for hardware, you can run CODESYS on Raspberry Pi, not industrial use but perfect for school projects because of its low price.