Abb acs550 earth fault even when not in run.

g.mccormick

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hey all. I tried to startup a drive last thing before leaving for the weekend. On power up, the drive constantly gies earth fault. This is with the drive in stop mode, not even trying to go into run yet. This was a used drive we had on the shelf. Im sorta guessing this is bad.

I opened the downstream disconnect and it still did. I will disconnect leads entirely on monday

I've also seen bad current transducers do similar, stupid things. The ground current is sometimes calculated by the difference between the 3 outputs. Something like. 'If it the current went through there and there, but not there, then it must have gone to ground'.

Luckily, a 5hp drive costs less than a good dinner-date these days!

Well I disconnected the load leads at the drive this morning and powered up, the fault was gone. Luckily!

We found a pinched/grounded wire about 1foot from the drive in a LB cover.

Wire fixed, drive and pump running.

Thanks for the help all.