Omron S6 - brain dead!

silva.foxx

Hi

I have an Omron Sysmac S6 with a solid "CPU ERR" led.
I tried to access it via the relevent hand-held unit, with a resulting message of "TRANSMISSION ERROR".

Is it safe to say this obsolete PLC is knackered, 🔨 for want of a more technical term?

Regards and kindest wishes for the festive season.
silva.foxx

An AD DL-105 might be a good upgrade for your S6. About the same foot print & configuraion. The only issue is getting the program, but in many cases it would'nt be to hard to reverse-engineer it.

silva.foxx said:
Is it safe to say this obsolete PLC is knackered, 🔨 for want of a more technical term?

...as a dodo I would say.

We have a rule of thumb here, which states that if a Procon (handheld) can't communicate, then nothing can.

Thanks.

Luckily I had a fiddle a few months back and copied the program list to paper. An upgrade to a CPM2A is likely.

To be honest, the pallet wrapper the PLC controls is battered and bruised. It's aged >15 years, so the co. may even buy in a new one for the new year.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year :geek:

silva.foxx

Hi,

i am from Germany and found this thread about the S6 Controller. I have the same Problem. My S6 is also brain dead.

My Question is now - can i switch the s6 to an other used one who works an just put the old memory unit (or whatever the Eeprom inside is) or did the controller need to be programmed?
Its a really old Machine and i dont have knowledge about programming this, but is a change as easy as i imagine?

As Second is, i can get here S6 Controller with Cpu 31 or 26, but i have CPU 15 - does it matter when i change to a higher CPu?

Would be great to here if there is a way to change just a part of this machine.

Thanks for answers.

this error is common when the cpu backup battery / capacitor had lost its charge..

power the unit for half a day, then remove power.
wait 30 seconds and reapply power. the fault should clear, but
in the manual (if you have one) it tells you how to clear the error if it persists. it has been to many years since I used an s6 and cannot remember the sequence.
if the error will not clear, then I would say its dead.

regards,
james

Hello and thanks for the answers.

I took the Controller out of the machine an test the big battery inside. I should have 5.5v or 6.5`? i guess, but only have 5.1v. Is that ok or should i change this battery? Could this cause the Problem of the cpu error?

I upload some photos of the Controller and the Battery inside.

I also got a second Controller with the same CPU 15. Can i "weld out" the CPU and Exchange it with the working Controller? But which one is the CPU inside the Controller?

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg