Omron PLC networking Help needed.......

Deep_arvind

Hi,
Anyone in Omron networking???
see in Hardware we have Omron PLC CS1H CPU66-H and CS1WSCB 41-V1( Serial communication Board with one RS-232 and one RS 422/485 Port)since it is a SCB so we have put that inside the CPU, and CX-Programmer Version 6.11, and we have three PLC's with the same configuration. Now the thing is that we want to multidrop the PLC's. that is while connecting to say plc-1 through RS232 port and PLC1,PLC2 and PLC3 being on RS422/485 communication. I'm attaching the setup diagram for your review.

thanx....in advance

Use a standard RS232 to RS422 convertor in the line from the computer and attach it directly to the RS422 network and skip the connection to the PLC's RS232 port. It should work fine.

Guys this Omron's RS422 port is killing me

Hi Jay ,

Thanks for replying.... out of all members of this forum only u hepled me, thanks once again ,
but i have few doubts ,
like first... will i be able to download plc program through the way you are suggesting that is using a standard 232 to 422 convorter, secouldly the main aim is to get the data from the lower nodes(PLC's) to the PC using some DA Server Lets say by using Kepware DAServer(KEPServerEX),
...my problem is , since im using SCB and it gets fit on the CPU itself, therefore i cant give it any node number ...i mean what is the way to configure the SCB's Ports and wat is the way to give it a node number , till now what i have done is , i am being able to communicate with the default port on the CPU, the RS232 Port on the SCB, but what is left is to communicate with the RS 485 port, which is killing me,....can u please take some time to help me out....
thanks

It sounds to me that you really need to network the PLCs properly. Then set up transfer of data how ever you wish.

Ethernet would probably be good for this although I normally use Controller Link but it works out more expensive when you have to buy a Controller Link card for the PC - they are not cheap.

Hi BobB,
the thing is that we have this set up with us , and cant replace things now , and need to communicate with these things only, controller link as u suggested is a great way, and we got success doing it through controller link , but the thing is we still need to this:), and till now no way out ...can't find any ways ....but im still trying hard for that....:(........

thanks.....

Thanks for replying.... out of all members of this forum only u hepled me
This could be for many reasons, there is a lot of knowledge that visits this forum, some know all brands, some know certain brands, some know certain applications, some know others. As with all automation solutions, it is quite often application specific. Most likely, some saw your problem, not sure of the solution, so did not reply, and it is a bit rough to expect an answer straight away, especially when in a different time zone to the majority of visitors to this forum.

If your PLC setups are all the same, then, as Jay said, you should be able to 232-422 converter between the PC and the 422 network. You would need to configure each PLC with a seperate Node address, ( I think this is done on the unit, but am not 100% on this ).

If you have problems with this method, try isolating the network to PC(232)-(422)PLC1, and get that working first, then introduce the other PLC's to the network.

It sounds to me that you really need to network the PLCs properly.

the main aim is to get the data from the lower nodes(PLC's) to the PC using some DA Server

I think by the sound of it Bob, that he only wants the data at the PLC, he doesn't want to exchange information between the PLC's.

and we got success doing it through controller link but the thing is we still need to this, and till now no way out

Why is this, why are you not using the controller link, ( if indeed you aren't?)

PLC with a seperate Node address, ( I think this is done on the unit, but am not 100% on this ).

Depends on the setup Scott.

If data is to be collected from all PLCs back to the computer, I would be inclined to set each PLC SCB up as a Modbus RTU slave and set the computer up as a Modbus RTU master. Each node address is set up in the software.

I presume you have CX-One and not just CX-Programmer? If so, CX-Protocol is easy to use and I can point you in the direction of a Modbus RTU setup for master and slave that we all use for Omron and it is free.

If data is to be transmitted peer to peer and/or Modbus RTU master is not available in the PC, the setup will have to be quite different. There is no real dteail as to what you are trying to achieve - the information you have given is very sketchy and a lot more info is needed.

I cannot believe that people cut corners and try to go cheap as appears to be the way here. It is not worth it quite frankly. My time fiddling about is worth far more than a lousy bit of hardware.

will i be able to download plc program through the way you are suggesting that is using a standard 232 to 422 convorter
Yes, no problem.
the main aim is to get the data from the lower nodes(PLC's) to the PC using some DA Server Lets say by using Kepware DAServer(KEPServerEX),
This is possible.
since im using SCB and it gets fit on the CPU itself, therefore i cant give it any node number ...i mean what is the way to configure the SCB's Ports and wat is the way to give it a node number
SCBSetup.jpg

till now what i have done is , i am being able to communicate with the default port on the CPU, the RS232 Port on the SCB, but what is left is to communicate with the RS 485 port, which is killing me
Hostlink protocol does not operate on RS485. You will need to use RS422.

Last edited: