Installing other software side-by-side with Rockwell

In my experience, Unitronics software won't work properly no matter WHAT is installed alongside it. I've never encountered so many bugs in a professionally released software package 🔨
Yeah, that was my experience with visilogic. Absolutely infuriating. Unilogic seems much better, for what it's worth.

Which ones did you experience this joy on?

Jonnie_R, do you use the OEM licence that comes with your laptop for your VMs?

Do you have any USB issues / other driver issues having a different host OS?

Any required reading material?

Jonnie_R, do you use the OEM licence that comes with your laptop for your VMs?

Do you have any USB issues / other driver issues having a different host OS?

Any required reading material?

I have an old set of licences from different machines. I haven't upgraded any of mine past Windows 7.

No USB issues caused by Virtualbox, had one recently that was down to user permissions in linux. I have the occassional network glitch if I decode to change my network adaptor with the guest machine running, but a restart sorts that.

If you are using a linux distribution read the install notes for your individual distro as they vary slightly. Just make sure you have the right extension pack and install guest utils. On my server everything is done on the command line as I don't run a graphical environment, but the manual contains everything you need, though sometimes it's just easier to use Google :D

Yeah, that was my experience with visilogic. Absolutely infuriating. Unilogic seems much better, for what it's worth.

Which ones did you experience this joy on?

Yeah, I was using visilogic. I think my favourite "feature" was the runtime error and crash when trying to use the HMI remote display. Eventually their tech support informed me that the way to have to software not crash is to have a shortcut for the software you can right click on, run it as administrator, and then open the file once the software has launched. If you just open the project file, the software will crash as soon as you launch the HMI remote display. Even if you right click on the project file and run as administrator. Great stuff.

I have studio 5000 installed next to numerous other software packages for PLC/HMI and other controls related software. I do it this way because there are issues with virtual machines getting full access on the corporate network. I still have licenses on a Rockwell dongle in case I need to use a computer without all the corporate software on it.