Factorytalk View Studio Machine 5.1 won't launch

Martindag

Hi guys,

I had View studio 6.00 and it was working alright but we were forced to switch for 5.1 because almost all of our panelview are old.

So we installed View studio 5.1 from a link Rockwell give us.

Now im done installing it, so some reason when i open it, the software open but
it keep trying to load something and searching.

Was wondering if you had any idea what it could be ?.

Thanks

What Operating System are you using? Also there wasn't a need to downgrade, A 6.0 Studio can create 5.1 .mer files for your PVPs.

Using Windows 7 64bit

hmmm i don't know, i tried everything i can with 6.00 and i can't find a way to open my .MER it keep saying that it's a version 5.1 and i can't open.

Version 6.0 only works with Windows 7 32 bit. For 64 bit support, you need 6.1. Why are you trying to open a .MER file? Don't you have the original development files?

I do for most of my program i got the .APA or whatever the name is the original but for 2 application i dont have them so i used the transfert utility to get the .MER from my HMI but even with this i can't restore them with the application manager. One of them was saying i needed to be in 32 bit to do it and the other one i needed a older version 5.1. and thats the reason i installed it.

I believe 5.1 can only be installed on XP Pro. Won't work on Win7. Sometimes you can't restore .MER files. You can turn off this ability when you create it.

So what should i do with my windows 7 64bit? should i download the latest version of View studio anyway? like 8.1 or something like that ? do you believe i can open these version 5.1 that i have on my panelview plus 1000?

soooo, unless i use a Virtual box or something im stock and can't install view studio 5.1 ?

This is very confusing.

It is. The root of the issue is that Rockwell had to move away from the Watcom database is used in PV+ applications as it was not 64 bit compatible. In order to update the software for 64 bit operating systems Rockwell had to change up things. So the cross-over time line from 32/64 bit operating systems is really grey.

I've attached a Genius Webinar from March 2013 and an FAQ document. I suggest reading them thoroughly to give you a better understanding.

Your best bet, run a Virtual Machine running Windows 7 32 bit.

You could. But you still might have an issue because the 5.1 version was created with an old 32 bit database. You still might need a 32 bit machine to first convert the database. I haven't need to do that much so I forgot the particulars. Can you post the .MER file or is it too big?

it's not too big, i could send it if you got a personal e-mail or something or something. you can give it to me in private msg .

I was thinking that i would give it a try with a Virtual Machine and Windows XP and see how it go.

Thanks for the support, that was very useful.