You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old September 17th, 2018, 05:58 PM   #1
TheWaterboy
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

RSLinx Hanging on to old IP's

Using Ethernet Devices Driver:
changing IPs' of PLCs to hang them onto a Cellular network- RSLinx hangs on to the old IP... The first line is correct, thats the IP of the connected device, bu the second one is not, that's the previous IP. Should be .148 not .250

2018-09-17_15-42-09.jpg

where does it hold this old data? Or does it pull it from an old ARP entry?
I deleted the Harmony files and restarted linx and its still there.

I should add if I right click on the node in RSLinx tree and look at module properties, the correct IP (148) is there. Only RsLinx thinks otherwise.

Last edited by TheWaterboy; September 17th, 2018 at 06:03 PM.
Old September 18th, 2018, 10:50 AM   #2
Firejo
United States

I’m assuming you’ve taken the old IP addresses out of the list in the driver’s station mapping list but if not, do so. Having said that, it doesn’t always get rid of them. What I do that works most of the time is shut any other software down that is using RSLinx and turn off “Autobrowse” in RSWho. Then go into the drivers Station Mapping and delete the addresses and then back to the RSWho screen and right click on the old addresses and select “remove”. Turn RSWho back on and the addresses should not return. If they do, go through the above steps but after right clicking and removing the old addresses shut down RSLinx and restart it. If that doesn’t work (and sometimes it doesn’t), if I really want the old addresses gone (sometimes it gets personal) I will create another driver with only the addresses I want and then delete the one with the old addresses. It’s worth noting that I rarely use the DDE/OPC function so I have no idea what the ramifications of deleting the driver are when using it so use at your own risk.
Old September 18th, 2018, 12:54 PM   #3
TheWaterboy
United States

I did remove every instance I could find, just kept repopulating.

But this morning I opened RSLinx just now to try your suggestion... and the IP's are now correct. I did nothing, they corrected themselves overnight.

I'm convinced that RSLinx is filled with Forbidden Magic and Pure Voodoo, I wish there was an alternative that was a bit more open. **** like this this drives me crazy!
Old September 18th, 2018, 01:22 PM   #4
Mere
United States

I always Stop the driver. Delete from the list and the icons then restart the driver. I haven't had address get relisted since I started stopping first.
Old September 18th, 2018, 04:27 PM   #5
JaxGTO
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWaterboy View Post
I did remove every instance I could find, just kept repopulating.

But this morning I opened RSLinx just now to try your suggestion... and the IP's are now correct. I did nothing, they corrected themselves overnight.

I'm convinced that RSLinx is filled with Forbidden Magic and Pure Voodoo, I wish there was an alternative that was a bit more open. **** like this this drives me crazy!

Welcome to Rockwell Software land, check you sanity at the door.
Old September 18th, 2018, 04:40 PM   #6
TheWaterboy
United States

Stopping the driver and slowing myself down might just make the difference... Maybe. I'm still gonna look for evidence of witchcraft, but I'll be watching . . .
Old September 19th, 2018, 11:55 AM   #7
Firejo
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWaterboy View Post
Stopping the driver and slowing myself down might just make the difference... Maybe. I'm still gonna look for evidence of witchcraft, but I'll be watching . . .
Those who have found it have never been heard from again
Old September 19th, 2018, 01:31 PM   #8
Vlad Romanov
United States

I just got used to re-creating the drivers on a regular basis as my list becomes longer and longer with the devices which are no longer on the network. It's definitely frustrating.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum