Crimson 3.1 - Bit of a Word

Bullzi

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi everyone,
I am reading a alarm word from a device via Modbus using Crimson. I would like to create a flag tag for each of the 16 bits so I can have separate alarms based on the bits.

Has anyone done that before? I have always had a PLC involved to do this for me so I have never done it with Crimson.

Thanks for any help you can provide!!

When you create the flag tag, set the source as "tag" then drag your numeric tag in.
Then you can set the "treat as" parameter as a bit array and set the bit number.

xyz.png

You can pick a numeric tag as the data source for another (flag) tag and then treat it as Bit array (usually little endian) and select the bit number. Or you can pick a tag as the data source and append it with ".n" where n is the bit number.

The screenshot is an example where my tag Pump_1.OP is the 16 bit operation status word from a LSIS VFD and all the yellow flag tags point at the OP tag's individual bits.

I happened to use the first method on this one, but I could just have easily put the Source as "OP.0" without the quotes and it works too. The advantage to the latter method in my experience has been with doing tag editing from a csv export, it can be easier to autofill items.

tag bits.png

Last edited:
Thanks guys!! I feel kind of stupid, I should have thought of that myself because that is how you have to handle B registers in RsLogix 500. ;)